Old February 13th 04, 03:50 PM
hugovan

Default engine exchange

Hi, is anyone interested in engine exchange for Chessbase programs? I have
Fritz 8.

Old February 13th 04, 04:41 PM
Noah Roberts

hugovan wrote:
Hi, is anyone interested in engine exchange for Chessbase programs? I have
Fritz 8.

I have crafty and gnuchess....

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 13th 04, 05:42 PM
Netsock

"Noah Roberts" wrote in message

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

*Ploink*

Old February 13th 04, 08:46 PM
Noah Roberts

Ricky Robbins wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:42:12 -0500, "Netsock"
wrote:

"Noah Roberts" wrote in message

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

*Ploink*

Somehow I think he missed Noah's point.

Probably. We may never know if he actually kill filed me. Never been
plonked over a sig before, or even seen it done. Rather amusing.

My point, for those unable to get it, is that he said it. I think it
important for people to be aware that the man that is running the most
powerful army in the world can do nothing but think of war while
considering foreign policy matters.

This is OT, and I never intended to discuss it, but only to pass it
around so people can see and think. Apparently this person skipped that
last part :P

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 13th 04, 08:50 PM
Netsock

wrote:

"Noah Roberts" wrote in message

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

*Ploink*

Somehow I think he missed Noah's point.

Ricky

No I didn't. I just prefer not to read someone's politically motivated
signature in a chess group.

With all due respect, I maintain the right to "listen" to whom I want, and
if I chose to gauge that right by message/signature content, that is my
discretion.

I come to this group to GET AWAY from all the political fanatics that flood
Usenet, and don't see how anybody could be offended if *I* choose not to
"hear" them.

Take care.

Old February 13th 04, 09:38 PM
Noah Roberts

Default OT: "political" signatures (was engine exchange)

Netsock wrote:

I come to this group to GET AWAY from all the political fanatics that flood
Usenet, and don't see how anybody could be offended if *I* choose not to
"hear" them.

1 - I would not call me a political "fanatic" though I do care about the
shape things go in.

2 - My signature is well within usenet guidelines and this person has no
right to complain.

3 - I have not gone off topic, until now of course, and have not pressed
my views on anyone here. All I did was include a direct quote inside my
signature, which is quite common place. In my opinion the fact that it
has political connotations means nothing in regard to netiquette. Would
"Netsock" have had the same reaction if I quoted Gahndi?

If there is something in this newsgroup's charter that states I can't
have this signature then fine. In such a case I would leave. In my
opinion it is pretty asinine to react that way but I am willing to hear
others. If someone objects to my signature they should say so and we
can find some way to discuss it. If you want to be a reactionary and
plonk me I'm afraid your opinion won't mean much to me.

And that is all I have to say.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 13th 04, 11:51 PM
Sidney Cadot

Noah Roberts wrote:

If someone objects to my signature they should say so and we
can find some way to discuss it.

On the contrary, I wish to voice my support for your point of view
(about having the sig itself, not necessarily its contents). The
signature lines (when properly delimitered, as yours) are just about the
perfect place to exercise your freedom of speech. To me, it's like
wearing a t-shirt with a message in public. As long as it's within
reason, it's no problem.

Netsock is free to k/f you of course, but I think his reaction is not
representative.

Best regards,

Sidney

Old February 14th 04, 04:26 AM
Ricky Robbins

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:50:32 -0500, "Netsock"
wrote:

No I didn't. I just prefer not to read someone's politically motivated
signature in a chess group.

Sorry, I'm way off base on this one. I rarely read the signatures,
never noticed Noah's. I thought you "ploinked" because Noah was
willing to trade engines, and missed the engines offered were
available without charge.

I could give a rat's behind what Noah's political ideology might be,
but I'm sure folks are switching party affiliation by the hundreds as
they read his sig. (And I agree with you; better kept in a political
newsgroup.)

Ricky

Old February 15th 04, 03:30 AM
Noah Roberts

CeeBee wrote:
Noah Roberts wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Would "Netsock" have had the same reaction if I quoted
Gahndi?

Are you comparing Bush with Ghandi?

I guess that would be like comparing white and black, or hot and cold,
or rich and poor...but no, I wasn't. However, quoting Ghandi could be
considered political in nature depending on the quote and depending on
the definition of "political". Of course so could quoting Tricky Dick :P

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush