Old February 13th 04, 11:14 PM
Ralph Jones

Default PDA/PocketPC Chess online

Are there any chess clients for Pocket PC which will play online via FICS
or ICC?

I'm demoing PocketGrandmaster and while I really like it, I find the
ability to play online would greatly enhance the experience.

Old February 14th 04, 02:16 PM
Mr. Plow

I don't think there's one for ICC, though I wish there was. I've heard
mention of one for FICS. You might google this. I think it might be called
MobileChess or something like that.

news

Old February 15th 04, 11:40 AM
Dr. David Kirkby

Ralph Jones wrote in message om...
Are there any chess clients for Pocket PC which will play online via FICS
or ICC?

I'm demoing PocketGrandmaster and while I really like it, I find the
ability to play online would greatly enhance the experience.

First there is a guestbook for Pocket Grandmaster on their site where
you can put comments. One of the comments to date was on the addition
of ability to play on ICC, so perhaps you would add yours too. I'll do
likewise when I have a few minutes. It might get the authors to see
that is a higher priority.

I like Pocket Grandmaster and felt the small registration fee was well
worthwhile.

In a magazine I bought in a newsagent yesterday (PDA Essentials, issue
#20, but no obvious date) there is a freeware Pocket PC program called
'Valentin lliescu Chess' which says you can "play online against users
of the game on the various platforms including smartphone and
windows". I've not tried the program, but that might suggest some
chess server support - it might also suggest the other person needs to
run the same program. You should be able to find it on the internet
(although I could not with a quick look), but otherwise I'll find it
on the CD and mail you a copy. There is no registration fee. I was
intending to look it myself, but I only got the PDA two days ago, so
are new to this.

I don't know how easy it would be to get winboard to work on a PDA,
from which you can play online at ICC. You can change the sizes of
the squares on winboard (well you can on the UNIX version so I assume
the windoze too), so perhaps it could be made smaller quite easily. It
needs gtk though, and I'm not sure if that is avialable on pocket pc.
Perhaps an email to Tim Mann might be useful.

Does anyone have a demo of Fritz for Pocket PC they would share?

Dr. David Kirkby

My e-mail address can be found at:
http://atlc.sourceforge.net/contact.html
Old February 16th 04, 12:22 PM
Roman Hartmann

"Ralph Jones" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
Are there any chess clients for Pocket PC which will play online via FICS
or ICC?

you might want to check out this link:

http://www.oinkleburger.com/ChessClient/

best regards
Roman

Old February 18th 04, 12:28 AM
Dr. David Kirkby

Ralph Jones wrote in message om...
Are there any chess clients for Pocket PC which will play online via FICS
or ICC?

I'm demoing PocketGrandmaster and while I really like it, I find the
ability to play online would greatly enhance the experience.

Somewhere I see mention of a platform independant java client. I've no
idea if that would run, but its a possibility I guess.
Old February 19th 04, 12:14 PM
Rory Nolan

Here you go
http://www.intellichess.com/