Old February 14th 04, 11:50 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

Default Pocket Grandmaster vs. Pocket Fritz 2

Does anyone who has tried both Pocket Fritz 2

http://www.chesscentral.com/software/pocket_fritz.htm

and Pocket Grandmaster

http://www.pocketgrandmaster.com/english/index.html

have any comments on how they compare ??? Not just in ultimate
strength, but in any other ways. I've seen a few other chess programs
for a PDA, but none seem as good as Pocket Grandmaster, but I've not
tried Fritz. (There is incedently

I'd like a Fritz demo, but since you can't get a demo and I can't be
bothered to wait several days for Chessbase to deliver a CD for
something I could download in a few minutes, I've not bothered buying
Pocket Fritz 2.

I can download from Sun's web site the Solaris operating system (3
CD's each a few hundred MB each), yet I can't do likewise for a chess
program that fits on a PDA, which by virtue of the fact it runs on a
PDA can't be that big. Come on Chessbase, why not allow one to
download it, rather than shipping a CD? If you did a free trial, I
might even pay you some $$$.

BTW, I've never seen Fritz on a PC.

david [dot] kirkby (at) onetel [dot] net
Old February 15th 04, 03:55 PM
Michael Byrne

(Dr. David Kirkby) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Pocket Fritz 2 (PF2) may be the strongest chess engine for a PDA. It
is actually based on Shredder 7 (not Fritz) and Shredder 7 is
considered one of the best engines avalialable for PC.

( http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/ )

But there is no demo and it is not downloadable. Since Shredder 8 is
now available for the PC, one might assume we would see PF3 soon. So
you might be better to wait anyway. At nearly $50 , it is also most
expensive chess program for a PPC device.

Another program you may wish to try is Chess Genius for the the PPC.
It is downloadable, and it's very modestly priced at $25. The author,
Richard Lang, has won many World Championships (lates 80's and early
90's) and his programs have always had the knack of being quite strong
on weak processors. With the Genius programs, you get free upgrades
for life. His latest version often sees over 100,000 nodes
(positions) per second on my Dell PDA. His program also supports the
Palm PDA and several phones!

Pocket PC Link
http://www.chessgenius.com/pocketpc/index.html

Chess Genius Home