Old February 15th 04, 08:32 PM
Olsen

Default Chess program son age 8

I need a freeware chess game for my son, age 8 years.

Could you suggest one?

\Olsen

Old February 16th 04, 12:37 AM
Chuck in Minot

Rebel 12 (DOS) A very powerful DOS only chess
program packed full of all kinds of features and
options. This program will not run on XP!!
Runs great under 98SE's Dos Window for me!!
This program is packed full of just about every
feature you can think of and then some. It is
really quite something, and makes it well worth
the effort to make a DOS only partition on your
drive if you are running XP, it is that good!!!.

On my old Celeron 400 it is rated 2620 and on
most new machines its around 2700+ which makes
it one very tough program, but it has lots of options
and features that allow you to tone it way down.
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

Jester, The worlds strongest Java based Chess Program.
Just go here and since it is JAVA, it will load right onto
your machine like a web page.
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

You can also download it as a stand alone here.
http://www.ludochess.com/dotcom/download.php3

Now it is a little buggy, and I've had it lock up my machine
twice, and other people have also had it do it with them
as well. I am running 98SE, but otherwise its a simple
little program with 10 levels of difficulty to pick from and
a few other neat little features as well. On its top level
it beats my Fidelity 2100 chess computer which is a
very strong little computer in its own right.

Then there is "CRAFTY" by the good Dr. Robert
Hyatt who is a regular here. Crafty is by far the
most powerful freeware package program there
is.

Here you can read all about it and meet Dr. Hyatt.
http://www.cis.uab.edu/info/faculty/hyatt/hyatt.html

~Enjoy
Chuck
===========================
Its only a game its only a game its only....

. ..

Old February 16th 04, 12:54 AM
RPM1

"Olsen" wrote in message
. ..
I need a freeware chess game for my son, age 8 years.

Free windows program that fits on a floppy disk.
Download at:
http://www.reubold.onlinehome.de/

Unzip it into a directory and then click on the Bringer icon.

- Turn permanent brain off.
- Set it to respond in one second exactly.
- Set the rating to the lowest, (1360).

My 6 year old son can beat it.

If you let it run at its best settings it will beat a master.

Have fun!
Patrick

Old February 16th 04, 05:54 PM
Kevin Croxen

In article , Olsen wrote:
I need a freeware chess game for my son, age 8 years.

Could you suggest one?

\Olsen

Not quite freeware, but the USCF (uschess.org) are clearing out their
stock of only slightly outdated Fritz 6 for $15. A great program and a
great training tool.
Old February 16th 04, 10:27 PM
Gregory Topov

"Olsen" wrote in message
. ..
I need a freeware chess game for my son, age 8 years.

Could you suggest one?

The following are all free chess programs that operate well under Windows:

Chess-It
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/5841/

NagaSkaki Chess
http://www.geocities.com/nagaskaki/

Pawn
http://www.pawnchess.com/

SoftChess
http://softchess.netfirms.com/

Chenard Chess
http://www.schachecke.de/download/download.html

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 16th 04, 11:42 PM
Gregory Topov

One more I accidentally omitted:

Rival Chess
http://www.redhotpawn.com/rival/
--
Gregory Topov

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message
.. .
. ..

Old February 18th 04, 08:02 AM
|-|erc

"Olsen" wrote in
I need a freeware chess game for my son, age 8 years.

Could you suggest one?

www.c-h-e-s-s.com

for 5 yo to 55 yo

http://www.chess3.bravepages.com Free host, earlier version until I fix the bug