Old May 3rd 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default White to move and draw?

Not sure if black has a forced win or not. This position came up in
one of my tournament games and I was getting low on time so i simply
accepted my opponent's draw offer even though i'm a pawn up. I think
it might be a textbook draw anyway. It's just out of the reach of the
tablebases.

8/5k1N/7R/2np1r2/8/8/3K4/8 w - - 0 73

wKd2,Nh7,Rh6/bKf7,Nc5,Rf5,Pd5

It's White to move and try to draw.

Old May 5th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On May 3, 5:47 am, wrote:
Not sure if black has a forced win or not. This position came up in
one of my tournament games and I was getting low on time so i simply
accepted my opponent's draw offer even though i'm a pawn up. I think
it might be a textbook draw anyway. It's just out of the reach of the
tablebases.

8/5k1N/7R/2np1r2/8/8/3K4/8 w - - 0 73

wKd2,Nh7,Rh6/bKf7,Nc5,Rf5,Pd5

It's White to move and try to draw.

My instinct is that white can hold out, but I am pretty bad at
endgames and like you end up settling for half a point sometimes when
I feel there should be a win in there somewhere. If there is a win
here I can't see it.

Because there are only 7 pieces on the board it should in principle be
soluble with Freezer and a set of 6 man tablebases. If you can cut
down the number of positions reliably. I have Freezer and 5 men
Nalimov. It is out of reach of that combination because of the high
piece mobility in a relatively open position (and I still haven't
quite got to grips with using the program in anger against real
problem positions). I'm still learning how to use it effectively. It
is very different to normal chess engines. (at present I use 5 men TB
so that I can check my results for 6 men against the online servers)

Freezer works very well in blocked pawn endgames and for testing out
fortress positions. You do have to be careful how you ask the question
- if any of your rules or assumptions are false you have a GIGO
problem. But provided that you give it the right information it can do
a fine job of bringing more positions in range of perfect endgame
play.

Perhaps someone more experienced with Freezer & 6 men tables can solve
it for you?

Regards,
Martin Brown