Old February 18th 04, 12:03 AM
Martin Wilber

Default Entering games for analysis in Fritz 8

I want to enter my OTB games in fritz 8 for it to analyze. I see how to
have fritz play a human vs computer game, but what menu options do I
take to enter an OTB game for later analysis?

Marty
Old February 18th 04, 03:14 AM
Euclid

1) Create a new database for your games. I suggest that you select either
..pgn or .cbh format for your new database. Name it "mygames" or whatever you
want. You do this from the database window. Click the "create a new
database" icon on the toolbar and follow instructions.
2) There are various options for entering games. If they haven't been
entered into a computer before, use the chessboard window and enter the
moves by moving the pieces with the mouse. You can either switch the engine
off (Engine menu) or use infinite analysis mode during game entry. If your
games were already entered into a computer and can be converted to PGN
format, Fritz 8 will read them just fine - so you won't have to re-enter
them.
3) After you're finished entering a game, press Ctrl-S to save it (or Ctrl-R
if you've saved it previously). Point it at the "mygames" database you
created.
4) After you've entered your games into the "mygames" database, you can
doubleclick a game in the database window, to transfer it to the chessboard
window. It's then just a matter of experimenting with the vcr controls and
options available in the chessboard window, such as infinite analysis mode.
--
Euclid

.net...

Old February 18th 04, 11:43 AM
David Richerby

Euclid wrote:
2) There are various options for entering games. If they haven't been
entered into a computer before, use the chessboard window and enter the
moves by moving the pieces with the mouse. You can either switch the
engine off (Engine menu) or use infinite analysis mode during game
entry.

I'd recommend switching off the engine as I find the infinite analysis
distracting.

Once you've entered the games, you can get Fritz to analyse them by
choosing `Full analysis' from the menus, either in the database window
(where it's Tools|Analysis|Full analysis' or in the chess board window,
where, it's somewhere towards the right of the main menu but I can't
remember exactly where and my copy of Fritz is at home.

You'll probably want to set storage to `replace' rather than `append' --
this means that the analyzed game will replace the original version in the
database rather than being added at the end as a duplicate. You probably
also want to tell it to preserve any annotation that are already in the
game.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Evil Strange Atom Bomb (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a weapon of mass destruction but it's