Old May 5th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default No takers yet...

Here is a private match offer that has been posted for players against
Rybka. About as good as it gets for a human, 11 thousand bucks for a
human winner! But nary a taker...

Below is from...
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaf...how.pl?tid=794

Because some people here feel that grandmasters still might have a
chance against Rybka without an explicit handicap if only Rybka is
denied various advantages, I am publicly making the following offer.
I will donate One Thousand Dollars of my own money (which has been
increased to Eleven Thousand dollars by pledges from five other Rybka
fans) to any grandmaster who can win a six game match from Rybka (my
choice of version, Quad pc) under the following conditions:
1. Opening book: Rybka is limited to a 3 move deep opening book I would
prepare (to provide variety and avoid prepared games).
2. Tablebases: None
3. Hash table size: 512 MB.
4. Color: Human gets White every game!
5. Time limit: FIDE time control (90'+30" increment) for the
grandmaster, 45'+15" for Rybka. External clock governs human, computer
clock governs computer.
6. breaks: five minute break twice each game on request by the
grandmaster. Computer may reboot if frozen.
7. Schedule: two games per day for three days, intermediate break as
requested by the grandmaster.
8. In the event of a drawn match, I will donate $500 (which has been
increased to Three Thousand One Hundred Dollars by other pledges) to the
grandmaster.
9. Playing location: my home in Potomac, MD (free accommodations to the
grandmaster if desired).
10. Expense money: $300 has been pledged so far, internet coverage
should provide additional funds.
11. Guarantee: In the event that the GM loses the match, he will still
receive a fee of One Thousand Five Hundred Dollars (pledged by two
donors) for his time.

I think this offer concedes just about everything we could
possibly concede without actually taking off pieces or the like. Some
people might prefer an even longer time limit, but the two game a day
schedule is necessary for there to be any practical chance of getting a
grandmaster to accept this proposal. Note that with the double time
handicap, a sixty move game will not exceed three hours, so two rounds a
day is not very tiring.
Now that this offer includes a decent guarantee, it should attract
some strong grandmastes. Please feel free to post this offer anywhere
that a gm might see it. I Initiated this offer because I would like to
prove once and for all that only true handicap chess is viable for man
vs. machine (at least man vs. Rybka); I don't expect to have to pay out
if the match takes place, but I can afford to do so if necessary. I am
also motivated by the desire to find out how much of a disadvantage it
is to have almost no opening book. Other contributions to prize fund or
to a guarantee are of course welcome.