Old February 19th 04, 06:08 AM
Mogath3

Default Fen to Ascii

I'd like to be able to convert fen positions to ascii positions that are like
this

wkg1,Qd4,Be2
bka6,Qh6,pa5,b6,c6

White to move

Is there anything out there that will allow me to do this? Any help is
appreicated. Thanks very much.

Regards,
Jeff

Old February 19th 04, 07:33 AM
Mark van der Leek

Would that be on a case-to-case base or on complete files?

Also, what do you need it for?

Lastly, I guess you meant to say:

wKg1,Qd4,Be2
bKa6,Qh6,pa5,b6,c6

White to move

With uppercase K;s?

and what does pa5 mean? - why not pb6, pc6??

Mark

Old February 19th 04, 05:54 PM
Mogath3

Would that be on a case-to-case base or on complete files?

Also, what do you need it for?

I just wanted something to put on to a card so I didn't actually have to print
out the diagram.

Lastly, I guess you meant to say:

wKg1,Qd4,Be2
bKa6,Qh6,pa5,b6,c6

White to move

With uppercase K;s?

and what does pa5 mean? - why not pb6, pc6??

Pa5,b6,c6 just means there's pawns on those squares, but the way you describe
it could work too.
I downloaded your program, unfortunately I can't get it to work. Everytime I
try and paste a fen position, I get "Error in Fen String". Any help you can
provide with this is really appreciated because this program may be what I'm
looking for. Thanks.

Regards,
Jeff

Old February 19th 04, 07:26 PM
Mark van der Leek

Please post an example of rejected FEN.
What program you use to create it?

Mark

Old February 19th 04, 08:47 PM
Mogath3

Please post an example of rejected FEN.
What program you use to create it?

Sorry for the trouble I figured it out. I was trying to copy and paste from an
epd file. What I did (that is working now) was loaded a pgn file of positions
in to Chesspad. I then copied the position as a fen and just pasted it into
your FEN2Ascii program and it does exactly what I wanted. Thanks very much for
the help AND for the wonderful programs you have supplied the chess community.
There are many pgn readers, but I have been using Chesspad since I first saw it
a couple of years ago. I use it to do the positions for my flashcards and what
a great tool it is. Thanks again..

Regards,
Jeff

Old February 19th 04, 09:31 PM
Mark van der Leek

Ah ok.

And thanks!

I changed something with pasting the FEN now,
(it did not overwrite the content in the edit field...)
and I changed the small p to a big P.
It's in 1.0.1 if you want it.

Mark
Old February 20th 04, 12:04 AM
Mogath3

I changed something with pasting the FEN now,
(it did not overwrite the content in the edit field...)
and I changed the small p to a big P.
It's in 1.0.1 if you want it.

Cool! Thanks. Yeah, I will pick up the newer one. Maybe another thing to
consider would be to make the "w" and "b" for the colors to a capital letter
and then a "-" after that letter, from this:

wKc2,Ra3,f2,pa5,b5,h2
bKh8,Rd3,g1,Bd8,pd7,g7,h7

Black to move.

To this:

W-Kc2,Ra3,f2,pa5,b5,h2
B-Kh8,Rd3,g1,Bd8,pd7,g7,h7

Black to move.

If it's a big deal, thats okay don't worry about it. I can always do a "find
replace" in a word processor. Thanks again for the help.

Regards,
Jeff

Old February 20th 04, 12:13 AM
Mogath3

I was thinking, another cool feature would be to have all the positions that
you paste into the window instead of just the one.
For example, I have a pgn file of about 45 positions with "deflection" as a
theme. What I was thinking was to be able to have all 45 positions in the
window instead of just the one. Would this be possible? Again, if not, thats
okay just wondering.

Regards,
Jeff

Old February 20th 04, 08:24 AM
Mark van der Leek

Sorry, I don't want to do PGN files in this little program.
It does handle multiple FEN lines now, though.
it's in 1.0.2.

Mark