Old May 8th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Scid 3.6.14 released (chess database)

Hi,

I released Scid 3.6.14 at http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/index.html

The changes since 3.6.13 are :

- added an option for PGN output : add spaces conforming to PGN
standard. This will be reflected in every place PGN is used (PGN window,
PGN export,...)
- fixed a bug (that existed since Scid 1.9 ?!) where Scid would crash
importing some very particular games (played on internet), with
extraordinary long comments (whispers)
- windows OS :
* updated inno setup and cygwin1.dll
* by default engine starts in low priority to make UI more responsive
- the resign value is now configurable and equal to ++-
- added a draw detection by 3-fold repetition when playing tactical or
serious games
- changes to engine handling (both UCI and x/winboard) so engines will
be correctly started whatever position (in previous Scid releases it was
necessary to move back/forth to wake up some engines). The drawback is
some extra latency at start for x/winboard engines (about 1 second).
- fixed a bug in opening report where the number of games displayed was
limited to 500
- fixed a bug when adding moves from uci engines
- when an engine finishes a game (blue/grey arrow in analysis window),
the function will be turned off after a mate.
- added "ponder off" command so Crafty can be started/stopped with
analysis window opened
- added material balance display aside the board
- added a new annotation option "short annotations" : scores and
comments (like "weak move played score changes from X to Y") will not be
used but only NAG values (annotations are less verbose)
- fixed options setting for some UCI engines. Some engines don't take
into account all parameters when they are sent in batch mode, so all
option commands are now wrapped with "isready" and "readyok".
- added a command to opening report : "merge games", which will merge as
variations the N best games to current game (with a limited ply depth) -
still experimental
- updated swedish translation [thanks to Hans Eriksson]

Pascal
Old May 12th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

pascal a écrit :
[...]

Under Linux i can't "make" after "configure".

Old June 10th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

pascal a écrit :
I released Scid 3.6.14 at http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/index.html

Hi Pascal,

What about the Mac port. Through Fink, the version available is still
3.5. Is someone taking care of the Mac port or is there someone that
will add the excellent work of to fink? I could do part of it, but
prefer to work in team.

Thanks,
Yves

http://macchess.internetcontact.be

Old June 10th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I am not able to do a Mac Port, I don't know what Fink is, but it seems
so users managed to compile and run Scid on Mac.
But I can not do anything by myself, as I have no Mac access. I don't
have any pointers to people that have expressed interest in contributing
to a Mac port.

Pascal

Old July 22nd 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Scid 3.6.14 about to be released for Mac OS X (chess database)

All,

Scid 3.6.14 about to be released for Mac OS X. For the time being, you
have to compile it yourself, but things change quickly.

Prerequisites: Install X11 and XCode (or the gcc compilers at least)
Compilation instructions:
Download Pascals source code (curl or Safari or Firefox)
Unzip it. (use Guitar)
../configure
make
export PATH=.:$PATH
../scid

.... and play with it.

Pascal,

For the Mac port, you can count on me if the work is not to complicated.
I would prefer that you host it instead of me. I have no problem
keeping a copy at my site.

I am looking into packaging it into a DMG package, so that non technical
users can simply double-click on it to start it.

Can you tell me what files you require if you want to host it at your site?

pascal a écrit :
I am not able to do a Mac Port, I don't know what Fink is, but it seems
so users managed to compile and run Scid on Mac.

Fink is a repostory where less advanced users can compile and install
X11 software (amongst others) on Mac OS X without touching the command
line. It is a graphical front-end to (the commander stuff) for apt-get.

But I can not do anything by myself, as I have no Mac access. I don't
have any pointers to people that have expressed interest in contributing
to a Mac port.

I have received a number of questions. I have a site that is covering
chess on Mac... so a bit normal I have received these questions.

http://macchess.internetcontact.be
Old July 29th 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hi,

Thanks for building Scid for Mac. You may consider using the latest
version (3.6.16).

I can of course put packages for Mac on my own web site, just send me
all relevant info (this is Terra Incognita for me). If a release for Mac
(DMG package ?) is a simple file, I can simply make it available in the
download section.

Pascal