Old February 19th 04, 12:01 PM
Adrian Hay

Default problems with chessmaster 9000

Hi can anyone help. I have just purchased chessmaster 9000. When I try to
play online it says unable to locate URL when I start the ubisoft software.
I manually created a login and password at the ubisoft website and that will
allow me to log on the website. However when I try and connect to the
chessmaster games it says the client is incompatible with the server.
Anyone have any ideas?
Regards Ady

Old February 19th 04, 01:59 PM
Gregory Topov

"Adrian Hay" wrote in message
Hi can anyone help. I have just purchased chessmaster 9000. When I try to
play online it says unable to locate URL when I start the ubisoft

software.
I manually created a login and password at the ubisoft website and that

will
allow me to log on the website. However when I try and connect to the
chessmaster games it says the client is incompatible with the server.

There are known issues running Chessmaster 9000 and playing online at UBI.
Quite frankly, it's not worth the bother of trying to resolve them, because
there are hardly any players online here anyway.

To play online, I'd instead recommend heading over to
http://www.freechess.org and registering a free account at FICS (The Free
Internet Chess Server). There are hundreds of opponents available at any
time of the day for you to play against! And it's all free.
To connect, you can download a free interface, such as iNemesis:
http://www.ideabuilders.com/public/
There are many other free graphical interfaces to choose from if you don't
like this particular one.

I also have Chessmaster 9000 and find it great for its educational value and
all the features it has. By all means use Chessmaster 9000 for all the
terrific features (tutorials, drills, database, annotated games, etc) it
offers. But playing online is not one of them. I play online at FICS with
iNemesis, and use Chessmaster 9000 for most other offline things.

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 19th 04, 02:29 PM
Adrian Hay

Very interesting Gregory. The software looks very good. I will be reading up
and getting on thee soon.

regards Adrian