ChessBanter

ChessBanter (https://www.chessbanter.com/)
-   rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-computer-computer-chess/)
-   -   Lasker predicted computer chess? (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-computer-computer-chess/2803-lasker-predicted-computer-chess.html)

Benjamin Jordan February 19th 04 07:40 PM

Lasker predicted computer chess?

I came across this apropos quote in _Lasker's_Manual_of_Chess_ and havn't found
any references to it on the net:

"A spirit with a large and roomy brain who without error could keep in
mind millions of variations would have no need of planning."
- Dr. Emanuel Lasker (1947)

Score one for silicon! Enjoy,

Benjamin Jordan

Chris Kantack February 24th 04 03:18 AM

Lasker predicted computer chess?

In article ,
says...
I came across this apropos quote in _Lasker's_Manual_of_Chess_ and havn't found
any references to it on the net:

"A spirit with a large and roomy brain who without error could keep in
mind millions of variations would have no need of planning."
- Dr. Emanuel Lasker (1947)

Score one for silicon! Enjoy,

Benjamin Jordan

Very interesting. However, I give far more credit to Wolfgang von Kempelen
who in 1770 actually built a chess automaton. True, it was a fake. But a
darn good fake and fascinating story.

Check out Tom Standage's book "The Turk". Tonight I found an interesting
web page that features this book:

http://www.theturkbook.com/home.php
--
Chris Kantack