Old February 19th 04, 10:30 PM
Chuck in Minot

Default A master list of all the free chess programs

WOW, there are some really nice free chess programs
out, and I'd like to see if somebody would keep a master
list of them since I'm always seeing people ask that
question.

I'll start with the list I have, and please add to it with
any others that you may know about.
=======================================

Rebel 12 (DOS) A very powerful DOS only chess
program packed full of all kinds of features and
options. This program will not run on XP!!
Runs ok for me with 98SE in the DOS Window.
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

Jester, The worlds strongest Java based Chess Program.
This program has been reported by some users to have
an issue with locking up at times, but it is still a fun
small, but very strong and amazing free program.
Just go here and since it is JAVA, it will load right onto
your machine like a web page.
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

You can also download it as a stand alone here.
http://www.ludochess.com/dotcom/download.php3

Then there is "CRAFTY" by the good Dr. Robert
Hyatt who is a regular here. Crafty is by far the
most powerful freeware package program there
is. It has a long history, and has recently won
and placed very high in a formal tournament.

Here you can read all about it and meet Dr. Hyatt.
http://www.cis.uab.edu/info/faculty/hyatt/hyatt.html

"Der Bringer" is a chess program for Windows,
it is not public domain, but you may download,
copy, and use it free of charge. The site also
has the english version manual. This program
is packed full of features, and looks every bit as
good as any commercial program you can buy.
http://www.reubold.onlinehome.de/

~enjoy
Salute
========================

"Olsen" wrote in message
. ..
I need a freeware chess game for my son, age 8 years.

Could you suggest one?

\Olsen

Old February 19th 04, 10:31 PM
Gregory Topov

The following are all free chess programs that operate well under Windows:

Chess-It
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/5841/

NagaSkaki Chess
http://www.geocities.com/nagaskaki/

Pawn
http://www.pawnchess.com/

SoftChess
http://softchess.netfirms.com/

Chenard Chess
http://www.schachecke.de/download/download.html

Rival Chess
http://www.redhotpawn.com/rival/

Der Bringer
http://www.reubold.onlinehome.de/
--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 19th 04, 10:51 PM
Ken Stauffer

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message ...
The following are all free chess programs that operate well under Windows:

Chess-It
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/5841/

NagaSkaki Chess
http://www.geocities.com/nagaskaki/

Pawn
http://www.pawnchess.com/

SoftChess
http://softchess.netfirms.com/

Chenard Chess
http://www.schachecke.de/download/download.html

Rival Chess
http://www.redhotpawn.com/rival/

Der Bringer
http://www.reubold.onlinehome.de/
--

Hotbabe Chess
http://www.stauffercom.com/hotbabe

Old February 19th 04, 11:32 PM
RPM1

"Chuck in Minot" wrote in message
WOW, there are some really nice free chess programs
out, and I'd like to see if somebody would keep a master
list of them since I'm always seeing people ask that
question.

I'll start with the list I have, and please add to it with
any others that you may know about.

There are lots of free chess programs that work with
Winboard. See:

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/

Patrick

Old February 24th 04, 09:17 AM
Dr. David Kirkby

"Chuck in Minot" wrote in message ...
WOW, there are some really nice free chess programs
out, and I'd like to see if somebody would keep a master
list of them since I'm always seeing people ask that
question.

I'll start with the list I have, and please add to it with
any others that you may know about.
=======================================

Don't forget 'scid'

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

which is a chess database program. It does have its own engine for
analysis called 'scidlet', but scid allows you to use other engines
too. I use 'crafty' as an engine with 'scid'. However, you can also
play chess in scid by use of chess engine and its 'training mode'.

I've not compared scid's database abilities to chessbase, as chessbase
refuse to let me try a copy on my rather odd PC (a 733 MHz Celeron x86
PC on a PCI card that fits in a Sun workstation).

However, scid is MUCH better than the chessbase-lite, which I
personally would be embarrased to distribute even as a freebie in the
year 2004. In contrast 'scid' is a very good database program. I've
loaded a PGN file with 1,500,000 games and it had no problems with
that.

Some have said the scid's interface is uninutative, whereas this link

http://www.tomrowan.com/chess/articl..._software.html

says it's intuative. I tend to agree with those that find it a bit
unintuative, but to be fair I've never used any sort of database
program before, so perhaps I'm not the best person to judge. However,
once you get the hang of scid's interface, it is a very useful
program. I've not explored all its features - there are so many.

I'll have to ask Shane (scid's author) about porting it to PocketPC (a
small pocket sized computer, or PDA).

scid runs on Windoze and UNIX systems.

David Kirkby.

Old February 27th 04, 06:25 PM
dajava

(Dr. David Kirkby) wrote in message om...
"Chuck in Minot" wrote in message ...
WOW, there are some really nice free chess programs
out, and I'd like to see if somebody would keep a master
list of them since I'm always seeing people ask that
question.

I'll start with the list I have, and please add to it with
any others that you may know about.
=======================================

Don't forget 'scid'

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

which is a chess database program. It does have its own engine for
analysis called 'scidlet', but scid allows you to use other engines
too. I use 'crafty' as an engine with 'scid'. However, you can also
play chess in scid by use of chess engine and its 'training mode'.

- snip -

I installed Scid
I download a game collection from www.weekinchess.com
and added it to scid database

I enter a game to analyze.

I got a small pop-up window in upper left corner of monitor which has
all the crypic stuffs.
I do not know what to do with them

How can I ask scid to show me a recommendation ,say, "D5" ,for the
move I entered the way some chess playing software do?

dajava,
Old March 1st 04, 12:23 AM
Who cares anyway

(dajava) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I'm basing this on a UNIX version, but it should be the same for
Windoze.

Go to 'Tools' - 'Analysis Engine' then select an engine. 'scidlet'
will be there by default, but you can add others if you want. You
might find 'crafty' in the list too, but that won't work unless you
install a crafty binary.

Once you select the analysis engine, it will show the score for what
it considers the best line of play for each side. So you might see

12 4. Nxf3 Qxf2 ....etc

indicating the best line for White is to play Nxf3.

Another thing you might want to do is to see how GM's played from this
position. In this case, get yourself a database of GM games, open the
gm database, then

Windows - Tree Window

and lock the database.

Then switch the the database having the game you want to analyse, and
if there are it will show the number of GM games which had that
position, and the responses.

You should also investigate 'Tools' - Opening Report.

So basically you can determine an ideal move based on

a) A chess engine - scidlet, crafty or whatever
b) Reference to games played by masters.

The docs are pretty good. But you should post specific questions on
the scid forum.

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=8459
Old March 1st 04, 05:28 PM
dajava

(Who cares anyway) wrote in message . com...
(dajava) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I tested Scid based on your message.
It worked well

And I appreciate your link for scid forum

dajava,
Old March 1st 04, 05:39 PM
Linares__Lulls

Why don't you publish a list of all the places that a cheap **** welfare
case jackass can get a free coffee and a hot meal while you're at it?

Old March 1st 04, 06:59 PM
none

Linares__Lulls wrote:
Why don't you publish a list of all the places that a cheap **** welfare
case jackass can get a free coffee and a hot meal while you're at it?

I know its cold up there in Winnipeg, and you are probably frustrated
over your lack of chess acumen, but really you are soooooo boring. Give
Debra my love.