Old February 20th 04, 04:32 PM
Anders Thulin

Default Endgame...

Chaos wrote:

Any comments as to why?

The only one who will know will be the programmer.

Probably a bug or a problem in how endgame tables are handled. Some
programs don't look at them 'high up' in the search tree, I think:
Fritz 6 did weird things in 'single search' mode, that was corrected
in 'multi-search' (showing multiple lines).

(There just might be some other configuration options at work --
have you configured the engine for 'abstract chess truth', without
any contempt factors or suchlike?)

--
Anders Thulin http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old February 21st 04, 12:55 PM
HD

Chaos skrev:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:32:58 GMT, Anders Thulin using recycled
electrons muttered something about:

Chaos wrote:

Any comments as to why?

Probably a bug or a problem in how endgame tables are handled. Some
programs don't look at them 'high up' in the search tree, I think:
Fritz 6 did weird things in 'single search' mode, that was corrected
in 'multi-search' (showing multiple lines).

(There just might be some other configuration options at work --
have you configured the engine for 'abstract chess truth', without
any contempt factors or suchlike?)

No. Only basic changes for a tournament. 8 - 10 engines particpating, assigning
an openings book for each such as come with the various engines, and setting
time limits. I've not changed other settings, leaving the rest, such as
contempt, etc. remain at default settings.

After reading :

"Missing or corrupt krpkp and krpk -tablebases, or access failure to them
due to some bug, but kpkp still OK, however? In that case a computer will
'hit' the forced mate in kpkp sooner than the forced mate on other lines
with 'brute force'."

I thought perhaps this was the answer and intended to reinstall the tables. But
I became puzzled: other engines seemed to have no problem accessing this
particular table. So I imported the position and changed the main engine to Jr
7, whereupon I received the notice to insert the cd. I did so and things seem to
be cleared up, but even before in anlysis mode Jr 7 had no problem before. So
now I wonder if Jr 7 on needing re-fueling would not access the table bases
during play - being 'crippled' in that regard. Anyway, I think now on starting a
tournament I may re-fuel each commercial engine, i.e. native to chessbase, prior
to the start. Maybe I should also get another opinion from chessbase; all ideas
are welcome and I suspect quite valid. Which one might actually be the
applicable one may take some time, and I may never find out.

There shouldn't be any need for refueling, unless prompted... I'm not
certain, however, that "cracked" interfaces works well in all aspects
(not in any way implying that thats what you have).
I've from time to time wondered about Junior 8's TB access... Maybe it's
more like a "Junior"-problem?!
Anyway, the problem seems quite strange, and surely Chessbase should be
asked. Maybe its more common than we know - and are aware - of...

HD

Such is life, I think....
dayffd

I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that
are someone else's fault.