Old February 21st 04, 05:24 PM
Jet Jaguar

Default CM9000: Turn off tutorial voice?

In CM9000, is there a way to turn off the voice in the tutorials? I
have all the sound options turned off but the voice still reads the
text. I find it distracting and I prefer to read the directions
myself.

---
Jet Jaguar
I have a spam blocking address. Replying to me is like pulling teeth.
Old February 21st 04, 06:43 PM
Gregory Topov

"Jet Jaguar" wrote in message
In CM9000, is there a way to turn off the voice in the tutorials? I
have all the sound options turned off but the voice still reads the
text. I find it distracting and I prefer to read the directions
myself.

Not sure about a setting within the program, but if it's that annoying, you
could always turn your computer speakers off grin. Personally I like the
audio, but I'm not sure of a setting to turn it off.

Old February 22nd 04, 02:26 AM
John Merlino

Jet Jaguar wrote in message . ..
In CM9000, is there a way to turn off the voice in the tutorials? I
have all the sound options turned off but the voice still reads the
text. I find it distracting and I prefer to read the directions
myself.

---
Jet Jaguar
I have a spam blocking address. Replying to me is like pulling teeth.

You cannot turn the sound off in the tutorials, because all of the
visuals for the tutorials are synchronized with the audio. Turning off
the audio makes the visuals meaningless (or, at least, much more
difficult to follow).

jm
Old February 23rd 04, 03:19 PM
Copper Pin

Jet Jaguar wrote in message . ..
In CM9000, is there a way to turn off the voice in the tutorials? I
have all the sound options turned off but the voice still reads the
text. I find it distracting and I prefer to read the directions
myself.

---
Jet Jaguar
I have a spam blocking address. Replying to me is like pulling teeth.

Here is how to stop the voice from playing: First you need the game
CD. Remove it from your computer's CD drive. Put the disc into it's
jewel case, and the jewel case in the game's box. Take the box and
your receipt and drive down to the store where you bought it from.
Explain to the clerk that you are too stupid to play CM9000 and you
would like to exchange it for something that is more appropriate for
your level, such as Mario Kart or perhaps some Pokémon cards.

The animations are synched to the audio, how are you supposed to
follow without the sound? Just turn off your damn speakers if it
bothers you so much. Idiot...
Old February 24th 04, 02:37 PM
Copper Pin

Jet Jaguar wrote in message . ..

Look, I know I can turn off the speakers. That's what I do.

If you already know the answer to the question you're asking, then why
are you wasting my time?
Old February 24th 04, 06:33 PM
John Merlino

Jet Jaguar wrote in message . ..
On 23 Feb 2004 07:19:53 -0800, (Copper Pin) said:

The animations are synched to the audio, how are you supposed to
follow without the sound? Just turn off your damn speakers if it
bothers you so much. Idiot...

I usually have no trouble following the tutorial instructions for a
couple of moves without seeing them on the board, but that's not the
main issue. Where I really want the voice off is during the quizzes.
It's annoying to hear "White to move" and "After the computer moves,
play the continuation" 60 times in a row. I'd rather play some music
instead, which I can't do with the speakers off.

Look, I know I can turn off the speakers. That's what I do. But if I
check the "no sound" box under the sound options, is it so
unreasonable to assume the game will not play sounds?

---
Jet Jaguar
I have a spam blocking address. Replying to me is like pulling teeth.

You should notice that the "No Sound" option that you are referring to
is in the "Piece Movement" tab of the sounds dialog. That means that
you are turning of the sounds of the piece movement only.

There is a "Voice" tab in that same dialog, but it only has three
Advice" and "Illegal Move Commentary". None of those refer to the
tutorials, or even to the Classroom, because the voice cannot (and
should not) be turned off there.

jm