Old February 22nd 04, 02:07 PM
Susan Hall

Default Computer defeated

I don't usually post to this group; Im more of a checkers player.
But I thought you guys might find this news at Yahoo interesting.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040216/sfm063_1.html

I personally think he is going to lose the money.

Sue
Old February 22nd 04, 05:24 PM
Harold Buck

[Trimmed out rec.games.chess.politics from post list]

In article ,
(Susan Hall) wrote:

I don't usually post to this group; Im more of a checkers player.
But I thought you guys might find this news at Yahoo interesting.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040216/sfm063_1.html

I personally think he is going to lose the money.

Huh? Here's the first paragraph:

==========================

Press Release Source: Arimaa.com

Humans Regain Victory in Man vs. Machine Match
Monday February 16, 3:48 pm ET

CLEVELAND, Feb. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Ever since chess champion Garry
Kasparov lost to Deep Blue in 1997, humans have not been able to regain
a victory against computers in an official Man vs. Machine match. All
recent chess matches between the top human players and top-ranked
computer programs have ended in draws. However on February 13th, humans
reclaimed their dominance over the chess board when the world's best
Arimaa-playing program was defeated 8-0 by a top-rated Arimaa player,
Omar Syed.

==========================

How the hell does a human beating a computer in some OTHER game
re-establish human dominance over the chess board?

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson
Old February 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
Josť de Paula

Em Sun, 22 Feb 2004 06:07:13 -0800, Susan Hall escreveu:

I don't usually post to this group; Im more of a checkers player.
But I thought you guys might find this news at Yahoo interesting.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040216/sfm063_1.html

I personally think he is going to lose the money.

Sue

Hullo, Sue.

What is Arimaa? We know some other games in which Carbon still beats
Silicon anytime; the one I can remember now is Go. And, as for chess, all
Silicon has is a little luck... since they cannot have emotions, they may
have some advantage over Carbon, who are prone to traps and overlooks due
to feelings external to the game.

--
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Old February 22nd 04, 06:52 PM
David Richerby

=?iso-8859-1?q?Jos=E9_de_Paula?= wrote:
Em Sun, 22 Feb 2004 06:07:13 -0800, Susan Hall escreveu:
I don't usually post to this group; Im more of a checkers player.
But I thought you guys might find this news at Yahoo interesting.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040216/sfm063_1.html

I personally think he is going to lose the money.

What is Arimaa?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/learn/rulesIntro.html

Dave.

--
David Richerby Sadistic Game (TM): it's like a family
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ board game but it wants to hurt you!
Old February 23rd 04, 04:37 AM
Mogath3

What is Arimaa? We know some other games in which Carbon still beats
Silicon anytime; the one I can remember now is Go. And, as for chess, all
Silicon has is a little luck... since they cannot have emotions, they may
have some advantage over Carbon, who are prone to traps and overlooks due
to feelings external to the game.

Wait a minute. Until a computer plays a REAL match against a human, those games
that Kasparov lost mean nothing. If Gary Kasparov agreed to a 24 game match
against a machine, then it'd be a match. Those other things are just exibitions
that really mean nothing.

Regards,
Jeff

Old February 23rd 04, 04:45 AM
Susan Hall

Harold Buck wrote in message

How the hell does a human beating a computer in some OTHER game
re-establish human dominance over the chess board?

Good question. That didn't make much sense to me either.
Then I went to the web site for the game:
http://www.arimaa.com/
and it says:

Arimaa is a simple game that can be played using the same
board and pieces provided in a standard Chess set. However
the rules of the game are a bit different and suddenly the
computers are left way behind.

I think I understand it now. It's a different game, but
it's played using a regular chess set.

Sue
Old February 23rd 04, 02:00 PM
newsgroup_mail

"Susan Hall" wrote in message
om...
I don't usually post to this group; Im more of a checkers player.

THEN GO FIND A CHECKERS NEWSGROUP YOU OFF-TOPIC POSTING ****!!

Old February 23rd 04, 08:00 PM
Curt Seefeldt

Susan,

I have no idea who this "newsgroup" lout is, but on behalf of the rest of
the decent people on here I would like to apologize for the embarrassing
comments he/she made. Now as for this group as a whole...I personally find
it most disgraceful that such an individual is allowed on here. I had
thought that rgcp had idiots in it...I guess I was wrong..frankly...I am
about to give up altogether all newsgroups.
"newsgroup_mail" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

om...

Old February 23rd 04, 08:14 PM
newsgroup_mail

Default Curt See****edinhisgayass....GET THE **** OUT OF THIS NEWSGROUP!!

Curt....you can get your worthless patzer ass the hell out of here to. You
are another useless heap of **** that has contributed absolutely nothing of
value.

Old February 23rd 04, 08:57 PM
Anders Thulin

Curt Seefeldt wrote:

comments he/she made. Now as for this group as a whole...I personally find
it most disgraceful that such an individual is allowed on here.

As the newsgroup(s) aren't moderated, it's a free-for-all catch-as-catch-can
performance.

Any complaints are probably best directed to , including the
*complete* posting, including all header lines, so that the NNTP-Posting-Host
is listed. (Forward might not work as expected.)

--
Anders Thulin
http://www.algonet.se/~ath