Old February 22nd 04, 06:08 PM
Derek Wildstar

Default Crafty Engine Param: Asymmetric Evaluation

As I understand this parameter, Asymmetric Evaluation is the methodology of
scoring/evaluating the major categories (Pawn Structure, Passed Pawns,
Material. etc.) differently for the side to move.

As it pertains to engine matches, with no need to change sides during a
game, is Asymmetric Evaluation a desirable feature?

Old February 22nd 04, 11:34 PM
Robert Hyatt

Derek Wildstar wrote:
As I understand this parameter, Asymmetric Evaluation is the methodology of
scoring/evaluating the major categories (Pawn Structure, Passed Pawns,
Material. etc.) differently for the side to move.

As it pertains to engine matches, with no need to change sides during a
game, is Asymmetric Evaluation a desirable feature?

Yes, as it is what gives Crafty the ability to not break open its own
kingside to break open the opponents, unless the attack is really strong.

--
Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Old February 23rd 04, 05:53 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Robert Hyatt" wrote in message
Derek Wildstar wrote:
As I understand this parameter, Asymmetric Evaluation is the methodology

of
scoring/evaluating the major categories (Pawn Structure, Passed Pawns,
Material. etc.) differently for the side to move.

As it pertains to engine matches, with no need to change sides during a
game, is Asymmetric Evaluation a desirable feature?

Yes, as it is what gives Crafty the ability to not break open its own
kingside to break open the opponents, unless the attack is really strong.

Great! And not a bad idea.... I've run crafty with AE active up to now, but
my current tournament I have it disabled. I hoped I might be able to detect
a change in play. (Blitz + 5 sec 300 games, 12 engines participting).

Thanks, Doc.