Old February 23rd 04, 10:34 AM
Ralph Jones

Default FICS Clients

Perhaps I'm spoiled because I use the Chessbase interface a lot to play
online. However lately I've been experimenting with clients to play on
FICS and ICC.

I've found some outstanding clients when it comes to functionality and
performance (I'm becoming partial to Arena). However I've noticed that
most require a text interface, where you're typing a lot of commands.
Some do seem to add a few buttons for simple commands. However none of
the clients I've found for the Windows platform sport a fully functional
GUI.

Are there any clients that parse the server/text output and formulate it
all into menus of Players, Gamelists, Sought games etc? Or am I stuck
having to read through (many times scrolling back) lists of scrolling
text? I've found a couple for Linux, however since I'm looking for
something for my laptop, it's gotta be Windows.
Old February 23rd 04, 12:38 PM
RPM1

"Ralph Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Chess Client comes close to what you're talking about:
http://home.centurytel.net/khb/cclient/

Instead of menus it has notetabs you can select for terminal, boards,
sought, who, games, ...

Good luck,
Patrick

Old February 23rd 04, 12:49 PM
David Richerby

Ralph Jones wrote:
Are there any clients that parse the server/text output and formulate it
all into menus of Players, Gamelists, Sought games etc? Or am I stuck
having to read through (many times scrolling back) lists of scrolling
text? I've found a couple for Linux, however since I'm looking for
something for my laptop, it's gotta be Windows.

I've never used the windows clients but Javaboard
(http://www.freechess.org/javaboard/) at least displays the games sought
graphically. Chatting is still done with text commands, though there are
server abbreviations for those (. is repeat last say/tell to a person, for
example).

Dave.

--
David Richerby Homicidal Tool (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ hammer but it wants to kill you!
Old February 23rd 04, 05:54 PM
JVarsoke

[...]

Funny, I'm a long time FICS user and when I started using the
PlayChess client I was completely frustrated. The total GUI interface
makes for a lot of clicking with the mouse to do simple things. For
example, sending a message to a friend online, or looking at a
friend's statistics. All this usually requres me to scroll through
the players list, find them, click and hope that their name goes into
my communications box, so I can send them a message. Similarly, there
is no way to write aliases for common things like saying "hi, I'm from
XYZ" to your opponent at the start of a game. I found the whole
interface very frustrating, and welcome the return to the commandline
when I logon to FICS.

But if you're looking for more GUI and less CLI. Try out the
following:

iNemesis: http://www.ideabuilders.com/public/
babaschess: http://www.babaschess.net/
thief: http://www.thief-interface.com/
jin: http://www.jinchess.com/

All of them have assignable buttons to perform common server tasks.
Jin and Thief are even scriptable to perform complex tasks.

But really, the FICS environment is often too complex and offers too
much to be translated into a button. And there are a lot of things
you just can't do on PlayChess that you can on FICS. For example,
find out which opening your opponent plays against 1.c4 as Black in
Standard time control games.

Good luck in your quest for a push-button world.

-j
Old February 24th 04, 02:16 PM
Steven Wayne

On 23 Feb 2004 09:54:06 -0800, JVarsoke
wrote:
All of them have assignable buttons to perform common server tasks.
Jin and Thief are even scriptable to perform complex tasks.

But really, the FICS environment is often too complex and offers too
much to be translated into a button. And there are a lot of things
you just can't do on PlayChess that you can on FICS. For example,
find out which opening your opponent plays against 1.c4 as Black in
Standard time control games.

Where do you learn all these commands?

I like to play on FICS, but so far have only used eboard ( on
Linux ) due to its seek table.

Steven
--
Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your
electronic communication? Consider this:

Old February 24th 04, 04:34 PM
David Richerby

Steven Wayne wrote:
Where do you learn all these commands?

I like to play on FICS, but so far have only used eboard ( on
Linux ) due to its seek table.

Browse the help files. `help commands' is a good place to start. If
theres something specific you want to do and you can't work out which
command to use, ask in the help channel (`tell 1 How do I get the server
to make cups of coffee for me?')

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mentholated Puzzle (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ an intriguing conundrum but it's
Old February 24th 04, 08:57 PM
Robert Pawlak

iNemesis: http://www.ideabuilders.com/public/
babaschess: http://www.babaschess.net/
thief: http://www.thief-interface.com/
jin: http://www.jinchess.com/

Nice list. I would also add Checkmate:
http://flagrantdisregard.com/checkmate/

And, if you are interested in ICC only, try Chess Assistant (www.convekta.com),
it gives you the option of buttons or CLI.

Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews
http://www.chessreviews.com

Old February 25th 04, 01:41 AM
Robert Pawlak

http://www.babaschess.net/

BTW, I had not heard of this one before. This is a very nice client. The only
thing I would like to see added is DGT support.

But a fantastic job by the author!

Old February 25th 04, 03:12 PM
Ralph Jones

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

I find using FICS can sometimes be quite
frustrating because I will login to play a game (something longer than
30 minutes) and will receive NO responses and yet I am constantly
offered a game of bullet 1 0 ... which is not really the same game at
all!

That, and the Blitz games are usually set to 5 12. 12 Seconds is a
ridiculous number for blitz; you might as well just play a normal game.
Old February 25th 04, 06:21 PM
David Richerby

Ralph Jones wrote:
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
I find using FICS can sometimes be quite
frustrating because I will login to play a game (something longer than
30 minutes) and will receive NO responses and yet I am constantly
offered a game of bullet 1 0 ... which is not really the same game at
all!

That, and the Blitz games are usually set to 5 12. 12 Seconds is a
ridiculous number for blitz; you might as well just play a normal game.

Most of the blitz games tend to be 2-12, in my experience.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Hilarious Atlas (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ map of the world but it's a bundle