Old February 23rd 04, 03:31 PM
jlaz461

Default Fritz8 repetoire

I would like to know if it is possible to set Fritz8 up to play only
user defined openings. For instance, I want to have Fritz play only a
certain variation of Caro-Kahn as black and only a certain variation
of Queens pawn opening as white. If this is possible, can anyone
explain how? Can this be accomplished with CM8000 too? Thanks!
Old February 23rd 04, 06:01 PM
Derek Wildstar

"jlaz461" wrote in message
om...
I would like to know if it is possible to set Fritz8 up to play only
user defined openings. For instance, I want to have Fritz play only a
certain variation of Caro-Kahn as black and only a certain variation
of Queens pawn opening as white. If this is possible, can anyone
explain how? Can this be accomplished with CM8000 too? Thanks!

Yes, one method is to have Fritz start from a certain position, such as a
test set. Or you can load the position in the special 'tournament mode'. You
could even program a specialized opening book with only the moves you want.
You can even set up a special opening training mode where you check off the
openings you wish to practice.

How you implement it depends on exactly what you are tying to
accomplish...training, practice, engine-engine analysis...

Old February 23rd 04, 08:07 PM
John Merlino

(jlaz461) wrote in message . com...
I would like to know if it is possible to set Fritz8 up to play only
user defined openings. For instance, I want to have Fritz play only a
certain variation of Caro-Kahn as black and only a certain variation
of Queens pawn opening as white. If this is possible, can anyone
explain how? Can this be accomplished with CM8000 too? Thanks!

Not sure about Fritz, but this can be done with CM8000 and CM9000.
Your fastest way to accomplish this is to go to:

http://chessmaster8000.ubi.com/downloads.html

On this page you will find "New Chessmaster Opening Books". Each of
these 59 books is dedicated to a particular opening, and will get you
started on most of what you are looking for. All you need to do is
follow the directions.

The other method, if you don't see the opening that you are looking
for here, is to go to the Library Room, then select "Opening Book -
Import from PGN File". By importing a PGN file that contains ONLY
games that use a specific opening, you can create a book for a
personality that will force it to use that opening.

CM9000 is much better for this, however, because the opening book
format was expanded to allow an "infinite" number of moves in the
book, rather than the limit of 65K moves in the CM8000 format.

Also, keep in mind when you are using one of these books that once the
game leaves the opening, the personality will be forced to decide on
its own moves. There is no concept of a "backup book". So, if you are
playing against a personality that is playing the Sicilian, and you
lead 1.d4, the personality will be out of book immediately.

jm
Old February 24th 04, 10:04 AM
Chiaromondo

I would like to know if it is possible to set Fritz8 up to play only
user defined openings. For instance, I want to have Fritz play only a
certain variation of Caro-Kahn as black and only a certain variation
of Queens pawn opening as white. If this is possible, can anyone
explain how?

I think you get the Fritz8 with the interface and instructions. So, you must
have been pretty sloppy. But as I am stupidly answering this might as well
continue. There is a book that comes with it, a fritz book (or/and you can
create your own), and you just make the tournament (green) choice to the
moves manually, and chooce the "use the tournament book" option from book
options.

The whole point of the fritx interface is the book (fritx book, and megabook
if you buy one) so one can see it all and choose it all and analyse it all,
and add moves. That's what classical chess is all about.