Old February 24th 04, 02:49 AM
David Potesta

Default compiling crafty

Does anyone have any recommendations on what compiler to use? I'm using lcc
for win32 and I get errors on the utility.c

Old February 24th 04, 03:59 AM
Robert Hyatt

David Potesta wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations on what compiler to use? I'm using lcc
for win32 and I get errors on the utility.c

MSVC is the best there is for windows. The later the version, the
faster the code it produces.

GCC is another choice, I think cygwin is one that works...

--
Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Old February 24th 04, 10:53 AM
Mikko Nummelin

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Robert Hyatt wrote:

David Potesta wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations on what compiler to use? I'm
using lcc for win32 and I get errors on the utility.c

MSVC is the best there is for windows. The later the version, the
faster the code it produces.

GCC is another choice, I think cygwin is one that works...

I have found it out that crafty is very difficult to get compiled, for
example I have not managed to do it with MSYS/MinGW. There is not even an
appropriate target for such. Therefore a good development idea for crafty
would perhaps be to use autoconf and automake to enable the easier

$ ./configure && make

$ su

root password

# make install

# exit

way of installing it possible. Also one annoying thing, which is very
easily fixed, is that currently gunzipping and untarring crafty tarball
fills the current directory with crafty source files. Better would be such
that extracting the package would produce an appropriate directory, i.e.
'crafty-19.x' with its appropriate content.

It is, (of course) made like this:

$ tar cf crafty-19.x.tar crafty-19.x/

$ gzip -9 crafty-19.x.tar

After, which we have a 'crafty-19.x.tar.gz' -gzipped tarball, which can be
extracted later like this and produces the directory rather than stale
files:

$ zcat crafty-19.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -

Mikko Nummelin
Old February 24th 04, 11:48 AM
David Richerby

Mikko Nummelin wrote:
$ tar cf crafty-19.x.tar crafty-19.x/
$ gzip -9 crafty-19.x.tar
$ zcat crafty-19.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -

If you're using GNU tar, you don't need to gzip separately as the z flag
does that for you. tar cfz blah; tar xzf blah.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Sadistic Mexi-Wine (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a vintage Beaujolais that comes from
Old February 25th 04, 04:07 AM
Cesar A. K. Grossmann

Robert Hyatt wrote:

GCC is another choice, I think cygwin is one that works...

The makefile doesn't have a 'cygwin' target, and the 'generic' target is
broken. I made the needed changes to make it works and produce an
executable that depends on cygwin DLL (it's OK, Winboard do that way
too, and the Crafty with personals too, IIRC).

$ cat Makefile.diff
92c92
@echo "make linux-AMD64 Linux optimized for AMD opteron
---
@echo "make linux-AMD64 Linux optimized for AMD opteron"

194c194
-DUSE_ASSEMBLY -DFAST \
---
-DFAST \

345c345,346
$(MAKE) CC=gcc CXX=g++ \
---
$(MAKE) target=GENERIC \
CC=gcc CXX=g++ \

$ cat utility.c.diff
33c33
# if !defined(LINUX) && !defined(ALPHA) && !defined(HP) &&
!defined(CRAY1) && !defined(FreeBSD) && !defined(NetBSD) &&
!defined(__EMX__)
---
# if !defined(LINUX) && !defined(ALPHA) && !defined(HP) &&

!defined(CRAY1) && !defined(FreeBSD) && !defined(NetBSD) &&
!defined(__EMX__) && !defined(GENERIC)

[]s
--
Cesar A. K. Grossmann

Old February 25th 04, 06:59 AM
Chuck in Minot

I am also very confused as to how to run Crafty, I am so dearly wanting to
see it, but I don't have a clue as to how to set it up to run with 98SE, and
wish I could understand, but I'm about lost.

i...