Old May 25th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Tablebases on USB Flash Drive

Has anybody tried putting the most commonly accessed tablebases on a
USB flash drive?

A quick test showed that a software striped RAID array plugged into a
hub can get almost the same read performance as a hard disk but with
zero seek time latency. I don't at present have a pair of 4GB flash
driver to try the experiment in full, but I was wondering if anyone
had already done this. And if it works...

It might even be worthwhile with a single USB flash drive - since it
isn't worth having KXXXk on high speed media.

The half speed datarate may well be adequately compensated for by the
zero seek time.

Has anyone tried this out already ?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old May 25th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Martin Brown wrote:
Has anybody tried putting the most commonly accessed tablebases on a
USB flash drive?

A quick test showed that a software striped RAID array plugged into a
hub can get almost the same read performance as a hard disk but with
zero seek time latency. I don't at present have a pair of 4GB flash
driver to try the experiment in full, but I was wondering if anyone
had already done this. And if it works...

It might even be worthwhile with a single USB flash drive - since it
isn't worth having KXXXk on high speed media.

The half speed datarate may well be adequately compensated for by the
zero seek time.

Has anyone tried this out already ?

Yes. The results are positive.

"Zero seek time" is not true. Typical HD access time is around
10ms. Typical USB stick access time is 0.5 to 1ms (or if you are
unlucky, 100ms). So this is a factor of 10 advantage. The datarate is
almost irrelevant.

RAM is another factor 10000 faster, though.

--
GCP
Old May 31st 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 25 May 2007 00:53:43 -0700, Martin Brown
wrote:

Has anybody tried putting the most commonly accessed tablebases on a
USB flash drive?

A quick test showed that a software striped RAID array plugged into a
hub can get almost the same read performance as a hard disk but with
zero seek time latency. I don't at present have a pair of 4GB flash
driver to try the experiment in full, but I was wondering if anyone
had already done this. And if it works...

It might even be worthwhile with a single USB flash drive - since it
isn't worth having KXXXk on high speed media.

The half speed datarate may well be adequately compensated for by the
zero seek time.

Has anyone tried this out already ?

Regards,
Martin Brown

If you have abundant memory, make a ram drive...nothing is faster.

I have 3g RAM, and run a 512mb RAM drive at boot up.

Remember though, RAM is volatile...you will lose any data stored there
when powered down.

-George
Old June 1st 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

George wrote:

If you have abundant memory, make a ram drive...nothing is faster.

I have 3g RAM, and run a 512mb RAM drive at boot up.

Remember though, RAM is volatile...you will lose any data stored there
when powered down.

RAM drives are a very bad idea for storing tablebases. The memory used
up by the RAM drive would be much better spent caching the tablebases
by the operating system.

--
GCP
Old June 1st 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:08:58 GMT, Gian-Carlo Pascutto
wrote:

RAM drives are a very bad idea for storing tablebases.

My Fritz 8 runs much faster with the tablebases in RAM.

The memory used
up by the RAM drive would be much better spent caching the tablebases
by the operating system.

That would depend on how much memory you have. I have 3 gig, so RAM
driving 512 mb does not hinder performance.

Now if you've got 128 mb...

-George

Old June 3rd 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:
RAM drives are a very bad idea for storing tablebases.

My Fritz 8 runs much faster with the tablebases in RAM.

The memory used
up by the RAM drive would be much better spent caching the tablebases
by the operating system.

That would depend on how much memory you have. I have 3 gig, so RAM
driving 512 mb does not hinder performance.

Hiowver you need around 4GB to ram hold all the classic Nalimov 5 men
tablebases, and something closer to 50GB for all the interesting 6 men
tables. Hence the interest in using Flash Drives for rapid access
readonly data. I suspect you would need a 64bit operating system to
handle the required memory for a sufficeint capacity ramdrive.

Shredders new shredderbases require a mere 2MB for 4 men and 150MB of
ram to cover the entire 5 men tablebases. AFAIK there is no
announcement about 6 men table bases in that format.

Regards,
Martin Brown