Old February 24th 04, 05:12 PM
FredH

Default Problem with Windows XP and chess fonts.

Greetings.

I am running into serious problems with corruption of chess diagrams in
existing MS Word documents, after my computer has been upgraded from Windows
98 to Windows XP.

I am aware of known issues, also solutions to some, but not all, of these
issues. I would like to correspond with someone who has expertise in this
area. We can discuss it here, or through private corrspondence.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and perhaps I can return the
favor somehow.

Here is my email address, you know what to remove.

Thanks,
Fred.

Old February 25th 04, 03:19 AM
Kerry Liles

Did you upgrade Office at the same time? If not, I am not sure why you would
encounter any problems. In any case, for the amusement of us 'not in the know',
perhaps you can elaborate on the known issues?

. ..

Old February 25th 04, 08:54 AM
FredH

Hi Kerry. Here is an explanation of the situation that was provided to me
by someone who seems to know a lot more than I do.
I worked on the font problem a bit more last night and finally figured out
what's really going on. Microsoft as usual cares very little about font
parameters and how they are handled by Windows. Here's what's happening:

There are several kinds of "encodings" that can be applied to fonts. Fonts
are formed of sequential cells where characters are inserted, and usually
operating systems or applications can see only the first 256 cells of any
given font. An encoding is a parameter that can be applied to true type
fonts where the system or program is told which 256 cells to see.

One of those possible encodings is called "symbol encoding". Fonts with
symbol encoding are usually ones where the first 256 cells are considered as
reserved for normal Latin characters, and any symbols (like those found in
chess fonts, traffic sign fonts, signage system fonts, etc) are inserted in
a specifically allocated "symbol area" of the font, which happens to be
after the first 256 cells.

Now, due to an imperfection in the default settings of the way a true type
font is produced, if the first 256 cells of a font are empty, all the symbol
cells "move up" on the cell table to occupy the Latin cells, unless
specifically told from within the font, via hard-coded numbering, to not do
so.

Anyhow, I'll cut right to the chase:

1 - Windows XP sees only the first 256 cells of a font.
2 - If the font is symbol-encoded, Windows XP discards the first 256 cells,
thinking that there is nothing there.
3 - Chess fonts are all symbol-encoded.
3 - Microsoft Word takes its font parameters directly from the operating
system, so if a document done under a previous version of Windows contains a
symbol-encoded font, Word under Windows XP starts counting from cell 257 in
that particular font. Since nothing is in that range of cells, Word displays
boxes (indicating blank cells) instead.

The solution to that problem turned out to be somewhat simple. Word can be
told, via a macro, that when treating already-existing symbol fonts in a
document, to start counting at cell 1 instead of 257. That macro can be
saved in Word's default template, and it can be run whenever this problem is
encountered. All one would have to do is ctrl+A to select all the text in a
document, then push run the macro via a push button. A few seconds later,
all the boxes turn into the proper symbols, which is this case are the chess
diagrams.
--------------------------------------

O, back to me. I have a word document, the diagrams display just fine in
Windows 98. I have Win98/XP dual boot. When I display the same document in
XP, all I see is a bunch of "empty boxes" where the chess synbols
(square/piece combination). When I apply the aforementioned macro, I get my
symbols back, but there are gaps between each row. If I increase the size of
the font, the gaps are filled but the diagram is too big. The documents were
not prepared by me, I am fixing them for someone else, after I upgraded his
PC to XP . btw, the font is TTDiagram Habsburg, it comes with ChessBase.
I am able to create new documents using fonts such as Linares by Alpine
Software. no problem. There is evidence to suggest that the problem with
gaps between the lines is somehow related to the columnar format of the Word
documents. I say this because I fixed a similar problem with Alpine Linares
diagrams in a columnar word document. I could copy a diagram out of the
columnar document, into a new blank document, and the gaps would disappear.
This trick does not work with my current documents which are columnar but
use teh ChessBase TTHABSBURG diagram font.

I should clarify, it was not a software upgrade to XP from 98SE, it was a
fresh clean install, and I can duplicate the problem on my own XP PC as well
as my client's. I've tried all the useal tricks with reisntallation of fonts
etc, ( reinstallation of chessbase, after making sure the fonts were
removed. I can also tell you I know of two other experienced people besides
myself who have similar XP/Word related issues.

Regards,
Fred

"Kerry Liles" wrote in message
Did you upgrade Office at the same time? If not, I am not sure why you

would
encounter any problems. In any case, for the amusement of us 'not in the

know',
perhaps you can elaborate on the known issues?

. ..

Old February 25th 04, 09:10 AM
FredH

Default Problem with Windows XP and chess fonts. - one more thing

The documents display fine using Word2000 under 98, but not fine using
Word2000 under XP

"FredH" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..