Old May 26th 07, 10:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Chess on Mac OS X

Hello!
I'm planning to buy a MacBook (Core 2Duo 2.16 GHz, 1GB RAM, 120 GB
HD), so I'm searching a good chess engine, GUI and Database. Can you
help me?
Thanks

Old May 26th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello!
I'm planning to buy a MacBook (Core 2Duo 2.16 GHz, 1GB RAM, 120 GB
HD), so I'm searching a good chess engine, GUI and Database. Can you
help me?
Thanks

good luck, there if very few chess programs for macs.

Old May 27th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Inconnux wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello!
I'm planning to buy a MacBook (Core 2Duo 2.16 GHz, 1GB RAM, 120 GB
HD), so I'm searching a good chess engine, GUI and Database. Can you
help me?
Thanks

good luck, there if very few chess programs for macs.

Sigmachess + hiarcs, and shredder are available for the Mac. Both very
good.

However, I run Fritz with Rybka using parallels on my mac. Works like a
champ.

BTW. Upgrade to 2GB of ram. Seriously.
Old May 27th 07, 08:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 27 Mag, 02:51, JohnnyT wrote:
Inconnux wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello!
I'm planning to buy a MacBook (Core 2Duo 2.16 GHz, 1GB RAM, 120 GB
HD), so I'm searching a good chess engine, GUI and Database. Can you
help me?
Thanks

Sigmachess + hiarcs, and shredder are available for the Mac. Both very
good.

However, I run Fritz with Rybka using parallels on my mac. Works like a
champ.

BTW. Upgrade to 2GB of ram. Seriously.

Thanks for the answer. But I've heard that parallels are a bit slow.
However, Mac OS X Tiger really requires 2 GB of RAM for high
performances?!
I know that Vista requires a lot of RAM, but Mac....

Old May 27th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

You probably need nothing more than Sigma Chess http://www.sigmachess.com/.
It have database features and UCI engine interface and much more. If you are
really serious about databases you still have ExaChess
http://www.exachess.com/.

For other options see my web page:

http://ballz.ababa.net/lidador/martinussoft.html

You want 1 Giga Ram, or a bit more, if you intend to have lots of things
open, 2 Giga is too much for 99% of users.

Report here other doubts you may have.

in article ,
at wrote on 07/05/26
10:01:

Old May 27th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 27 Mag, 20:38, Valente wrote:
You probably need nothing more than Sigma Chesshttp://www.sigmachess.com/.
It have database features and UCI engine interface and much more. If you are
really serious about databases you still have ExaChesshttp://www.exachess.com/.

For other options see my web page:

http://ballz.ababa.net/lidador/martinussoft.html

Report here other doubts you may have.

I'm really happy that I've found a Mac Expert!
Infact, on intel processor, I can run Windows XP, simply solving chess
"question", but losing Mac extra-power and extra quality.....So I
prefer to choose software on Mac.
I have 2 questions:
1) Can you explain me the difference between Sigma and Exa? (I would
prefer a software like chessbase, but I've heard that the only
chessbase software for Mac is difficult to find, because it is out of
business)
2) HIARCS 11 is really the strongest engine for Mac? ( I've heard that
HIARCS Mac is even stronger than HIARCS PC!)
Thanks for your precious support!

Old May 27th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hiarcs , if you get that let me know , you should play my friends Fritz
9 , that would be a good match up..

Old May 28th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

ExaChess is specialized in chess database. Its by far the best chess
database for Mac. Sigma Chess also have database feature, but not the most
advanced ones, like ExaChess have: move tree being the most important. Very
old Chessbase Mac 1.1 is dated some 1993 or 1994 and don't work on modern
Macs.

Both programs have free (light) versions, you may test both. Start with
Sigma Chess, you will be surprised by its features and nice interface. The
Sigma Chess Pro (payed) version is cheap (some 20 euros), ExaChess is more
expensive, some 120 euros, or so.

I have Hiarcs 11.1 Mac single processor
http://www.hiarcs.com/mac_chess_hiarcs.htm. The multiple processor is more
expensive but stronger. My Hiarcs 11.1 SP its the strongest engine I have,
according to engine vs. engine matches played with Sigma Chess interface. It
is very very strong, yes. I saw it beating all of the others except
Shredder, because this one is commercial and I don't have it.

The Swedish Association SSDF that rates chess engines, puts Hiarcs 11.1 as
world second, with rating 2871, being Rybka the first in its list dated
2007-04-21

http://web.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/list.htm

Hope it helps.

in article ,
at wrote on 07/05/27
23:15:

Old May 28th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 28 Mag, 02:36, Valente wrote:
ExaChess is specialized in chess database. Its by far the best chess
database for Mac. Sigma Chess also have database feature, but not the most
advanced ones, like ExaChess have: move tree being the most important. Very
old Chessbase Mac 1.1 is dated some 1993 or 1994 and don't work on modern
Macs.

A tragic news! For me, a ChessBase program would be the best (because
It is cheaper than ExaChess , I think it costs 20€)

Both programs have free (light) versions, you may test both. Start with
Sigma Chess, you will be surprised by its features and nice interface. The
Sigma Chess Pro (payed) version is cheap (some 20 euros), ExaChess is more
expensive, some 120 euros, or so.

It seems that ExaChess is a professional software for databases and
trees, while Sigma is mostly designed for running UCI engines.

I have Hiarcs 11.1 Mac single processor
http://www.hiarcs.com/mac_chess_hiarcs.htm. The multiple processor is more
expensive but stronger. My Hiarcs 11.1 SP its the strongest engine I have,
according to engine vs. engine matches played with Sigma Chess interface. It
is very very strong, yes. I saw it beating all of the others except
Shredder, because this one is commercial and I don't have it.

Deep Shredder 9 could be an interesting and pratical solution: both
GUI and Engine in one pack!

However, I have the latest question: It's possible, having CB Mega
Database 2007, to import the whole database on Exa or Sigma?
Thanks

P.S. It's amazing that on peer-to-peer servers there isn't anything on
Chess for Mac!

Antonio Espinosa