Old May 28th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Chessmaster 9000 & Adobe Acrobat 5

Chessmaster 9000 comes bundled with Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.

When the user wants to look at the User Guide [Help], from within the
program, the program looks for Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.

I already have Adobe Acrobat 7 on my system, but the game won't pull it up.

Is there a tweak I can do, perhaps a registry correction, to tell CM 9000 to
look for and work with Adobe Acrobat 7 rather than having TWO versions of
the Adobe Acrobat software on my system -- thereby avoiding unnecessary
redundancy?

DSH

Old May 29th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On May 27, 7:50 pm, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
Chessmaster 9000 comes bundled with Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.

When the user wants to look at the User Guide [Help], from within the
program, the program looks for Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.

I already have Adobe Acrobat 7 on my system, but the game won't pull it up.

Is there a tweak I can do, perhaps a registry correction, to tell CM 9000 to
look for and work with Adobe Acrobat 7 rather than having TWO versions of
the Adobe Acrobat software on my system -- thereby avoiding unnecessary
redundancy?

DSH

This actually works fine for me, and I also have Acrobat 7 on my
machine. But if it doesn't work on your machine, I would simply launch
Acrobat and open the file manually. Keep in mind that it's just a PDF
of the manual, however.

jm

Old May 29th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Yes, I understand it is just a PDF file of the manual.

I've opened it in both Acrobat 5 and 7.

But I'd like to get rid of Acrobat 5 as redundant and get the PDF file to
open with Acrobat 7 WITHIN Chessmaster 9000.

Is there a registry tweak I can do to accomplish that -- or some other fix?

Now, the file will not open if I don't have Acrobat 5 on the system -- and I
get a prompt asking me if I want to install it -- otherwise the PDF file
won't open.

DSH

oups.com...

Old May 30th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On May 29, 2:03 pm, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
Yes, I understand it is just a PDF file of the manual.

I've opened it in both Acrobat 5 and 7.

But I'd like to get rid of Acrobat 5 as redundant and get the PDF file to
open with Acrobat 7 WITHIN Chessmaster 9000.

Is there a registry tweak I can do to accomplish that -- or some other fix?

Now, the file will not open if I don't have Acrobat 5 on the system -- and I
get a prompt asking me if I want to install it -- otherwise the PDF file
won't open.

DSH

There's no way to do that that I know of. I'm sure you can delete
Acrobat 5 (shouldn't the Acrobat 7 installation have updated it
automatically?). But that will probably not fix the issue of launching
the manual within the program.

jm

Old May 30th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Sad.

I have both Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and Adobe Reader 7.0.9 installed on the system
and would like to be able to delete Adobe Acrobat 5.0, as the only program
that uses it is Chessmaster 9000.

But Chessmaster 9000 is hardwired to Adobe Acrobat 5.0 -- and won't work
with 7.0.9, even with a Registry Tweak?

O.K.

Thanks.

Cheers,

DSH

oups.com...

Old May 31st 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On May 30, 12:00 pm, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
Sad.

I have both Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and Adobe Reader 7.0.9 installed on the system
and would like to be able to delete Adobe Acrobat 5.0, as the only program
that uses it is Chessmaster 9000.

But Chessmaster 9000 is hardwired to Adobe Acrobat 5.0 -- and won't work
with 7.0.9, even with a Registry Tweak?

I verified that all CM9 does is attempt to "launch" the pdf file,
which is identical to double-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer.
If, for some reason, that doesn't work, then CM will ask you if you
want to launch the Acrobat 5.0 installation from your Chessmaster CD
1.

But CM is not "hardwired" to Acrobat 5.0 in the sense that it has to
be installed on your computer for it to work.

jm

Old May 31st 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote in message
ps.com...

On May 30, 12:00 pm, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

Sad.

I have both Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and Adobe Reader 7.0.9 installed on the
system and would like to be able to delete Adobe Acrobat 5.0, as the
only program that uses it is Chessmaster 9000.

But Chessmaster 9000 is hardwired to Adobe Acrobat 5.0 -- and won't work
with 7.0.9, even with a Registry Tweak?

I verified that all CM9 does is attempt to "launch" the pdf file,
which is identical to double-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer.
If, for some reason, that doesn't work, then CM will ask you if you
want to launch the Acrobat 5.0 installation from your Chessmaster CD
1.

Yes, I experience the same phenomenon.

But how do we get it to work with Adobe Reader 7.0.9, a newer version of the
same program?

But CM is not "hardwired" to Acrobat 5.0 in the sense that it has to
be installed on your computer for it to work.

jm

Hardwired in the sense that one cannot read the PDF file from within CM 9000
without having Adobe Acrobat 5.0 installed.

DSH

Old May 31st 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hardwired in the sense that one cannot read the PDF file from within CM 9000
without having Adobe Acrobat 5.0 installed.

DSH

I do not have Acrobat 5 installed on my machine, only 7.0.9, and the
PDF launches fine from with CM.

I would think that something went wrong when you upgraded your
Acrobat. You might try uninstalling ALL versions of Acrobat and then
reinstalling the newest.

jm

Old May 31st 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On May 31, 9:06 am, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
Do you have only Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.9 installed, or a more complete
version?

Just the reader.