Old February 26th 04, 06:28 AM
Noah Roberts

Default Hitech

I have seen many references to a chess engine called Hitech that was
created around the time of Deep Thought 1. From the papers referring to
it I am gathering that it was more of a true AI than the brute force
Deep Thought. I would very much like to find a paper or site that
describes how this program worked(s). Something academic is of more use
to me, but failing that I will settle for anything because I can't find one.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 26th 04, 06:53 AM
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

"Noah Roberts" wrote in message
I have seen many references to a chess engine called Hitech that was
created around the time of Deep Thought 1. From the papers referring to
it I am gathering that it was more of a true AI than the brute force
Deep Thought. I would very much like to find a paper or site that
describes how this program worked(s). Something academic is of more use
to me, but failing that I will settle for anything because I can't find one.

It was made by Hans Berliner and consisted also of special
purpose hardware. I'm not so sure about the 'true AI' aspect,
given that it was one of the fastest around at the time and used
extensive preprocessing.

He did work on a more 'humanlike' search system called B*, but
they used alpha-beta for tournament games, so I guess it wasn't
the success they were hoping for.

--
GCP

Old February 26th 04, 05:00 PM
Robert Hyatt

Noah Roberts wrote:
I have seen many references to a chess engine called Hitech that was
created around the time of Deep Thought 1. From the papers referring to
it I am gathering that it was more of a true AI than the brute force
Deep Thought. I would very much like to find a paper or site that
describes how this program worked(s). Something academic is of more use
to me, but failing that I will settle for anything because I can't find one.

There were multiple things written in the JICCA, as well as in books like
"computers, chess and cognition" among others. Also a couple of the
Advances in Computer Chess conference hard-copy proceedings had info about
Hitech. Have you poked around CMU (Hans Berliner's stuff) to see if there
are any online technical reports or papers available???

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

--
Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Old February 27th 04, 03:45 AM
Noah Roberts

Robert Hyatt wrote:
Noah Roberts wrote:

I have seen many references to a chess engine called Hitech that was
created around the time of Deep Thought 1. From the papers referring to
it I am gathering that it was more of a true AI than the brute force
Deep Thought. I would very much like to find a paper or site that
describes how this program worked(s). Something academic is of more use
to me, but failing that I will settle for anything because I can't find one.

There were multiple things written in the JICCA, as well as in books like
"computers, chess and cognition" among others. Also a couple of the
Advances in Computer Chess conference hard-copy proceedings had info about
Hitech. Have you poked around CMU (Hans Berliner's stuff) to see if there
are any online technical reports or papers available???

Yes, I believe I was at CMU hunting around. I somehow got to it through
either google or citeseer. From one site it appears that what I am
looking for, CMU-CS-94-168, is the one thing that is not available. It
seems most stuff about that engine is in either AI or ICCA, neither of
which I have access to. Unfortunately I wasn't given a whole lot of
time to do this essay (undergrad english course) so inter library loans
are not looking good. I was hoping to find something online.

I will continue looking but sometimes someone might know just where to
find something that I can't find after hours of searching. I was hoping
that might happen here.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 27th 04, 04:12 AM
Noah Roberts

Gunny Bunny wrote:
www.google.com

Cute. You must be the pick of the litter.

/me pats bunny on head

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 27th 04, 04:41 AM
Peter Pein

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:

He did work on a more 'humanlike' search system called B*, but
they used alpha-beta for tournament games, so I guess it wasn't
the success they were hoping for.

for B* see Artificial Intelligence, North Holland Publishing; 12 (1979),
pp. 23-40

Old February 27th 04, 08:09 PM
henkbossinade

"Noah Roberts" wrote in message
I have seen many references to a chess engine called Hitech that was
created around the time of Deep Thought 1. From the papers referring to
it I am gathering that it was more of a true AI than the brute force
Deep Thought. I would very much like to find a paper or site that
describes how this program worked(s). Something academic is of more use
to me, but failing that I will settle for anything because I can't find

one.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Search for 'Bstar.ps' on Google.

Old February 27th 04, 10:01 PM
Noah Roberts

henkbossinade wrote:

Search for 'Bstar.ps' on Google.

Thanks. I think that is exactly the article I was trying to get. A few
of the pages in the version that turned up are invalid, but I should be
able to get through without them.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old March 6th 04, 07:43 AM
Metastabl

Noah Roberts wrote in message ...
I have seen many references to a chess engine called Hitech that was
created around the time of Deep Thought 1. From the papers referring to
it I am gathering that it was more of a true AI than the brute force
Deep Thought. I would very much like to find a paper or site that
describes how this program worked(s). Something academic is of more use
to me, but failing that I will settle for anything because I can't find one.

Did you look for:

Ebeling, C. (1986). All the Right Moves: A VLSI Architecture for
Chess. MIT Press, ISBN 0-262-05035-8.

I picked up a copy a while back. Unfortunately it's a really
inefficient architecture. Interesting book to read for some background
though.

-Keith