Old February 26th 04, 06:21 PM

Default Endgame puzzles for Linux

Hi all,

I am looking for a chess program for Linux that could
play from some database of endgame puzzles. I checked the
faq and googled, but it seems that there are more info about
the usual full blow game. Do these things, the database and
such program, exist?

Short of this, is there an endgame database that is readable
for Linux, and displays in any format - I am completely happy
with pure ascii :-) - that also contains the solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Minhhuy Ho
Old February 27th 04, 09:22 PM
Simon Waters

pgeorges wrote:

Short of this, is there an endgame database that is readable for
Linux, and displays in any format - I am completely happy
with pure ascii :-) - that also contains the solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Scid and Crafty will do all this under Linux.

More explicitly - most computer programmers test there systems using EPD
format lists of positions - which also include the next move.

I'm not aware of many databases that include the complete solution - but
I believe all the main free GNU/Linux chess programs can handle FEN in
PGN. This is PGN notation, with a tag showing the starting position. So
there should be no problem handling such positions when you get them.

I believe there is a project to bash in all the Troitsky puzzles into
machinable form, since they are now out of copyright, which should be
enough to keep all but the Gary Kasparov's of this world occupied for
the rest of their natural lifespan.

Anyone got a link?