Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 26th 04, 08:09 PM
Mikko Nummelin
 
Posts: n/a
Default New beginner level chess program - Needle-0.50 - released!

I have written a chess engine and put it available for free download in
address

http://www.math.hut.fi/~mnummeli/needle/

It does not yet play good chess as there are many known issues to be fixed
like inferior evaluation function, too much time consuming move generation
and just a beta-test-level opening book, but I think it can be a good
opponent for beginners.

If you find bugs in it, please mail me or post into this group.


Mikko Nummelin
  #2   Report Post  
Old February 26th 04, 09:48 PM
Wayne Martin
 
Posts: n/a
Default New beginner level chess program - Needle-0.50 - released!

Thanks for the contribution! I'll download this and check it out.


  #3   Report Post  
Old February 27th 04, 07:15 AM
Mikko Nummelin
 
Posts: n/a
Default New beginner level chess program - Needle-0.50 - released!

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Mikko Nummelin wrote:

I have written a chess engine and put it available for free download in
address

http://www.math.hut.fi/~mnummeli/needle/

It does not yet play good chess as there are many known issues to be fixed
like inferior evaluation function, too much time consuming move generation
and just a beta-test-level opening book, but I think it can be a good
opponent for beginners.

If you find bugs in it, please mail me or post into this group.


The original 'needle.zip' (Windows binary package) lacked opening book
file 'needle.bk', although that file was available in
'needle-0.50.tgz' (source package). This issue is now fixed as the book
file is now included also in the binary package.


Mikko Nummelin
  #4   Report Post  
Old February 27th 04, 01:26 PM
Jari Huikari
 
Posts: n/a
Default New beginner level chess program - Needle-0.50 - released!

In rec.games.chess.computer Mikko Nummelin wrote:
I have written a chess engine and put it available for free download in
address


http://www.math.hut.fi/~mnummeli/needle/


Good luck in developing it! Nice to see that we get new engines from
Finland. They are not too many yet!

Jari
--
PER ARDUA IN FIDE SERVITE DEO

http://www.mit.jyu.fi/huikari/

  #5   Report Post  
Old February 27th 04, 07:23 PM
Mikko Nummelin
 
Posts: n/a
Default New beginner level chess program - Needle-0.50 - released!

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Jari Huikari wrote:

In rec.games.chess.computer Mikko Nummelin wrote:
I have written a chess engine and put it available for free download in
address


http://www.math.hut.fi/~mnummeli/needle/


Good luck in developing it! Nice to see that we get new engines from
Finland. They are not too many yet!


I just noticed a fatal bug in it, which leads to a crash if a check is
possible to evade with en-passant-capturing the threatening pawn,
i.e. if Needle's opponent plays such a capture, Needle does not recognize
it as legal and makes an inappropriate claim of "illegal move". I try to
produce a fix soon.


Mikko Nummelin


  #6   Report Post  
Old February 28th 04, 05:09 PM
Mikko Nummelin
 
Posts: n/a
Default New beginner level chess program - Needle-0.50 - released!

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Mikko Nummelin wrote:

I just noticed a fatal bug in it, which leads to a crash if a check is
possible to evade with en-passant-capturing the threatening pawn,
i.e. if Needle's opponent plays such a capture, Needle does not
recognize it as legal and makes an inappropriate claim of "illegal
move". I try to produce a fix soon.


I have now made a bugfix available.


Mikko Nummelin
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017