Old February 27th 04, 04:01 PM
Jon Beckett

Default Chess database recommendation for low spec laptop

Hi all,

I have a low spec laptop at home (P2, 64Mb RAM, 800x600 screen), and
have been playing with the various chess database programs - with a
view to using them for (a) storing my collection of TWIC games, (b)
storing any history tournaments I want, and (c) storing my own games
I've played on FICS or Chessworld

The programs I have looked at so far are;
- Chessbase Light
- Chess Assistant Light
- SCID
- ChessPad

From what I have seen so far, Chessbase Light has the most slick
interface, Chess Assistant has the most functionality, and SCID is
brilliant if a little flaky and sluggish.

If I do spend money on a commercial program it looks like being Chess
Assistant, but I have no idea if the latest version will work on a
machine as crap as mine?

Is anybody else actively using a chess database on an older computer?
Jon Beckett
Old February 27th 04, 07:17 PM
HD

Jon Beckett skrev:
Hi all,

I have a low spec laptop at home (P2, 64Mb RAM, 800x600 screen), and
have been playing with the various chess database programs - with a
view to using them for (a) storing my collection of TWIC games, (b)
storing any history tournaments I want, and (c) storing my own games
I've played on FICS or Chessworld

The programs I have looked at so far are;
- Chessbase Light
- Chess Assistant Light
- SCID
- ChessPad

From what I have seen so far, Chessbase Light has the most slick
interface, Chess Assistant has the most functionality, and SCID is
brilliant if a little flaky and sluggish.

If I do spend money on a commercial program it looks like being Chess
Assistant, but I have no idea if the latest version will work on a
machine as crap as mine?

Is anybody else actively using a chess database on an older computer?
Jon Beckett

Just a note for concideration (and not a final suggestion): Chessbase
Light doesn't look like Chessbase 8, and when it comes to features and
functions its hard to caompare them.
CB Light is an almost full functional demo of CB6.

HD

Old February 27th 04, 09:27 PM
Simon Waters

Jon Beckett wrote:

I have a low spec laptop at home (P2, 64Mb RAM, 800x600 screen)

I've taken better computers off peoples hands for free.

Perhaps it is time to practice your scrounging skills

SCID is very solid here - how was it flaky? My main desktop box has
slightly more RAM and a better screen resolution, but a slower
processor. SCID runs very well - Mozilla is beginning to out grow this
PC though.

I did find understanding how it handles which games a command applies to
a bit tricky at first - and when I come back to it after a break.

Old February 28th 04, 12:35 AM
Robert Pawlak

I think your best choice might be CA 6.1. I know that it will run with the
configuration you have. CA 7.1 might be too much of a squeeze for your
configuration.

I used to run CA 6.1 on a P-133, with 32M of RAM, and it was still pretty
responsive. So I feel confident in recommending that version.

Bottom line is 6.1 should work, 7.1 probably will work.

FYI: here are the "essential" recommendations from the manuals:

CA 7.1: 128M RAM, P-75
CA 6.1: 32M RAM, P-75

You should also download the new version of CA lite that is based on CA 7.1. It
might give you a better feel for whether your machine has enough juice.

Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews