Old February 28th 04, 07:12 PM
B. W.

Default CM 9000

Newbie here. Just got CM 9000. Is the Ubisoft.com site the only place to
play online or are there other private sites like those that exist for Links
2003? I am fairly new to chess (I played years ago in high school but that
was it).

B.W.

Old February 28th 04, 08:32 PM
Gregory Topov

"B. W." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Newbie here. Just got CM 9000. Is the Ubisoft.com site the only place to
play online or are there other private sites like those that exist for

Links
2003? I am fairly new to chess (I played years ago in high school but

that
was it).

There are known issues running Chessmaster 9000 and playing online at UBI.
Quite frankly, it's not worth the bother of trying to resolve them, because
there are hardly any players online here anyway.

To play online, I'd instead recommend heading over to
http://www.freechess.org and registering a free account at FICS (The Free
Internet Chess Server). There are hundreds of opponents available at any
time of the day for you to play against! And it's all free.
To connect, you can download a free interface, such as iNemesis:
http://www.ideabuilders.com/public/
There are many other free graphical interfaces to choose from if you don't
like this particular one.

I also have Chessmaster 9000 and find it great for its educational value and
all the features it has. By all means use Chessmaster 9000 for all the
terrific features (tutorials, drills, database, annotated games, etc) it
offers. But playing online is not one of them. I play online at FICS with
iNemesis, and use Chessmaster 9000 for most other offline things.

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 28th 04, 10:41 PM
John Merlino

"B. W." wrote in message news:[email protected]
Newbie here. Just got CM 9000. Is the Ubisoft.com site the only place to
play online or are there other private sites like those that exist for Links
2003? I am fairly new to chess (I played years ago in high school but that
was it).

B.W.

There are many other sites where you can play chess online. Currently,
the Ubi.com site available in CM9000 is one of the worst. The
implementation is poor and frustrating. And, even if you eventually
get to Ubi.com, you will only find a small handful of other people
there. I have heard that this is going to be vastly improved with the
next version of Chessmaster, but that is just a rumor at this time.

The BEST place to play online is at the Internet Chess Club (also
called the ICC at www.chessclub.com). There are hundreds of people
there at all times, and you can always find somebody of your caliber
to play against. You can even play there for free if all you want to
do is play and not get a rating.

The next best place to play would either be the FICS (Free Internet
Chess Club at www.freechess.org), or Chessbase's PlayChess site
(www.playchess.com). You should check all of those out, but I'm sure
you'll end up playing at ICC.

jm
Old March 6th 04, 10:38 AM
George Taylor

"B. W." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Newbie here. Just got CM 9000. Is the Ubisoft.com site the only place to
play online or are there other private sites like those that exist for

Links
2003? I am fairly new to chess (I played years ago in high school but

that
was it).

B.W.

I just got that game as well. I can't download the patch from their website.
Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Old March 7th 04, 01:06 AM
B. W.

If you cannot find the patch elsewhere send me a private email and I will
send it to you as an attachment. It is only 710 kbs. You will have to
remove the "no spam" from my address.

Bill

Old March 18th 04, 12:27 PM
matt -`;'-

"B. W." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Newbie here. Just got CM 9000. Is the Ubisoft.com site the only place to
play online or are there other private sites like those that exist for

Links
2003? I am fairly new to chess (I played years ago in high school but

that
was it).

B.W.

I play on FICS using ChessClient2 which is freely available on the website.
FICS has the advantage of being free. ChessClient has a lot of easy setup
time controls so you can setup 9 different time controls to play at. You
have a large selection of options for time controls. I like FICS. It very
easy to play a game of chess. I will play against computers or people and
find it fun in either case. The computer players on FICS actually play
differently than my chess programs on my home computer. They have their own
style and this makes for an interesting game of chess. You can easily
choose to play person/computer by their ELO, time control, rated or unrated.
There are a lot of features to ChessClient, but you don't have to use them
all. I like the graph window that shows who is available for a game and at
what ELO level and time - very easy to pick the game you want.

Stop by and take a look if you want.
http://www.freechess.org/

I play on there from time to time under the name ChessKnave. You can pick
your own name for free, play for free. Its all free. You don't have to be
named guest unless you want to be. I think you will like it once you try it
out.
-matt