Old June 2nd 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Winboard 4.2.7 -- Capabilities & Limitations

It's a question of the length of the dash in the castling notations.

My Windows XP Pro SP2 wants 0-0 and 0-0-0 NOT longer, double, dashes.

DSH

Old June 2nd 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 2, 9:39 am, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
It's a question of the length of the dash in the castling notations.

My Windows XP Pro SP2 wants 0-0 and 0-0-0 NOT longer, double, dashes.

DSH

There were no double-dashes in the game you posted.

And I seriously doubt it has anything to do with your version of
Windows. It's the simple fact that double-dashes are not legal PGN.

jm

Old June 2nd 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jun 2, 9:39 am, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

It's a question of the length of the dash in the castling notations.

My Windows XP Pro SP2 wants 0-0 and 0-0-0 NOT longer, double, dashes.

DSH

There were no double-dashes in the game you posted.

I never said there were.

And I seriously doubt it has anything to do with your version of
Windows. It's the simple fact that double-dashes are not legal PGN.

jm

I fully understand that.

DSH

Old June 4th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote in message
oups.com...

There were no double-dashes in the game you posted.

Right! I never said there were.

SINGLE hypens are being converted into dashes, which are double the length
of the hyphen

And I seriously doubt it has anything to do with your version of
Windows. It's the simple fact that double-dashes are not legal PGN.

jm

Yes, I understand that too -- but I'm getting dashes, double the length of
the hyphen.

DSH

Old June 5th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 4, 12:22 pm, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
SINGLE hypens are being converted into dashes, which are double the length
of the hyphen

That sounds like some kind of auto-formatting feature in Microsoft
Word or another word processing program. Just use Notepad, with a
typical font like Arial or Times New Roman, and there should be no
conversion problems.

jm

Old June 5th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

I've disabled that auto-formatting feature in Word.

The error occurs when pasting to Notepad as well.

DSH

wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jun 4, 12:22 pm, "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

SINGLE hyphens are being converted into dashes, which are double the
length of the hyphen

Old June 5th 07, 09:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

D. Spencer Hines wrote:
wrote:
"D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
SINGLE hyphens are being converted into dashes, which are double the
length of the hyphen

That sounds like some kind of auto-formatting feature in Microsoft
Word or another word processing program.

I've disabled that auto-formatting feature in Word.

The error occurs when pasting to Notepad as well.

OK. I've seen some web pages that use &emdash; or somesuch instead of
an ordinary ASCII hyphen for castling notation. This breaks almost
any program that expects ASCII input but some programs automatically
convert to hyphens. I suspect this is why the version you posted to
this newsgroup worked fine for everyone but the original version you
had didn't work for you.

Could you post the URL where you found the problematic game?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Transparent Hilarious Cheese (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a brick of cheese but it's
Old June 5th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

"David Richerby" wrote in message

D. Spencer Hines wrote:

wrote:

"D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

SINGLE hyphens are being converted into dashes, which are double the
length of the hyphen

That sounds like some kind of auto-formatting feature in Microsoft
Word or another word processing program.

I've disabled that auto-formatting feature in Word.

The error occurs when pasting to Notepad as well.

OK. I've seen some web pages that use &emdash; or somesuch instead of
an ordinary ASCII hyphen for castling notation. This breaks almost
any program that expects ASCII input but some programs automatically
convert to hyphens. I suspect this is why the version you posted to
this newsgroup worked fine for everyone but the original version you
had didn't work for you.

Could you post the URL where you found the problematic game?

Certainly.

http://wwwscala.blogspot.com/2007/06/alexei-shirov-garry-kasparov-01.html

DSH

Old June 5th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

D. Spencer Hines wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
OK. I've seen some web pages that use &emdash; or somesuch instead of
an ordinary ASCII hyphen for castling notation.

Could you post the URL where you found the problematic game?

Certainly.

http://wwwscala.blogspot.com/2007/06/alexei-shirov-garry-kasparov-01.html

Looks like my guess was correct: White's queenside castling is written
``11.0–0–0'' in the source instead of ``11.O-O-O''.
Winboard can't recognise these characters so discards that move and
tries to use 11... b5 as White's eleventh move, which it can't do,
either so it gives up. (Indeed, there's no way it can be made to
recognise them properly because it doesn't know what character set is
being used when it receives the data from the clipboard. So almost
anything could be some kind of dash, as far as it knows.)

You might consider mailing the blog author and asking him to use
ordinary ASCII hyphens so that people can cut and paste from his pages
into chess programs.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Perforated Artificial Umbrella (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like an umbrella that's made of
Old June 5th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

Brilliant!

Thank you very much.

I will.

What character is he using that is written _–_?

Strangely, J. V. Merlino, another poster here, said, as I recall, that he
had no trouble with it and the moves processed cleanly on his system. I
wonder why?

DSH