Old March 1st 04, 12:04 AM
Who cares anyway

Default Play on ICC with a PDA

Has anyone found a way to play on ICC using a PDA (specically in my
case an HP iPAQ 4150 'pocketpc') ? The only way I have found is to use
Intelli Chess, but that suffers several serious problems.

1) The pieces are difficult to see and distinuish.
2) You can only play on ICC as a guest.
3) When I played a game on ICC and my opponent promoted a pawn, (I
assume to a queen), it remained looking like a pawn.

So Intelli Chess is not in my oppinion a useable option.

Does anyone have any other ideas? The Internet Explorer on Windoze
mobile 2003 (or whatever its called) does not seem to support Java, so
one of the many java applets won't work.

Let's hope Pocket Grandmaster's author can come up with an ICC client,
as that is by far the best chess program for a PDA I've seen. I would
admit I've not seen Pocket Fritz, but the other freebies/shareware I
have found a pretty useless.
Old March 1st 04, 02:07 AM
David Potesta

You can install the RDP client onto your PDA and run remotely, any ICC
client you like.

om...

Old March 1st 04, 02:16 AM
Vincent Diepeveen

You have to use a C account to play online. Of course you can try the money
event also, i'm sure to get qualified you need behind you someone who is
computerhelping you. I remember a tournament like that at FICS where someone
who was not so good in blitz at a blitz 5 0 championship (from ukrain i
won't mention names) won that fics tournament hands down by near perfect
play (tactical). Completely different from his 5 0 games OTB.

Yet i'm sure that for your own usage using pocketgrandmaster is a good
choice. I meet the authors of course regurarly. In fact i played them in
Paderborn with DIEP about 2 weeks ago (11-15 februari). Their PC version is
called Anaconda. The programmers are real nice guys and putting a lot of
effort in their pocket version. Most here do not realize that creating
software for such pockets is a science in itself.

Of course the programmer from the other thing is called Stefan Meyer Kahlen.
He needs no introduction. Results speak for itself.

Old March 6th 04, 10:09 AM
Iliya Tyurin

I don't know regarding pieces distinguish in IntelliChess as they
looks fine to me, and there are several skins, but in 2.1 they fixed
the problems with pawns you described, and now it is possible to play
as a member. And now it is the only ICC client for Pocket PC
available. So you should give it a try: http://www.intellichess.com
Old March 8th 04, 05:02 PM
Who cares anyway

(Iliya Tyurin) wrote in message . com...
I don't know regarding pieces distinguish in IntelliChess as they
looks fine to me, and there are several skins, but in 2.1 they fixed
the problems with pawns you described, and now it is possible to play
as a member. And now it is the only ICC client for Pocket PC
available. So you should give it a try:
http://www.intellichess.com

Thanks for that. I'm using IntelliChess 2.0.1 and was not aware there
was a later version - I'll update when I get home and have the dockng
station. I've got a pretty new high-end iPAQ, but the pieces look
horrid to me. It is often difficult to see where my opponent has moved
too. There does not seem any way to go back a move to try to find
where the opponent played. Overall, I find it very poor, but as you
say its the only pocketpc program with an ICC client.

Pocket Grandmaster is an excellent program there is no doubt, but it
does lack ICC support.

I've not tried writing software for pocketpc, but my overall
impression is that the shareware/freeware is generally pretty poor
compared to what I'm used to on UNIX enviroments.

Old March 8th 04, 05:25 PM
Who cares anyway

"Vincent Diepeveen" wrote in message ...

"Who cares anyway" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone found a way to play on ICC using a PDA (specically in my
case an HP iPAQ 4150 'pocketpc') ? The only way I have found is to use
Intelli Chess, but that suffers several serious problems.

You have to use a C account to play online. Of course you can try the money
event also, i'm sure to get qualified you need behind you someone who is
computerhelping you. I remember a tournament like that at FICS where someone
who was not so good in blitz at a blitz 5 0 championship (from ukrain i
won't mention names) won that fics tournament hands down by near perfect
play (tactical). Completely different from his 5 0 games OTB.

I'm not sure what you are on about here. I want to use a chess program
with an ICC client, not to use the comptuer to suggest moves.
IntelliChess (the only pocket PC software I'm aware of that supports
ICC), wont suggest moves while you play online - or at least I don't
think so, as I've never tried that. If I wanted to cheat, I'd use my
quad processor workstation, not a pocketpc.

Yet i'm sure that for your own usage using pocketgrandmaster is a good
choice. I meet the authors of course regurarly. In fact i played them in
Paderborn with DIEP about 2 weeks ago (11-15 februari). Their PC version is
called Anaconda. The programmers are real nice guys and putting a lot of
effort in their pocket version.

Yes they seem nice in conversations I've had via email. I've mentioned
the lack of an ICC client issue to them and I hope they address it.
There are several comments on their 'Guest book'

http://two.guestbook.de/gb.cgi?gid=555102&prot=ophvsa

about the lack of an interface to ICC. It really would make the
program nice.

Most here do not realize that creating
software for such pockets is a science in itself.

I've not tried writing the software myself, but most of the
shareware/freeware is a pretty poor quality I feel - especially
compared to the UNIX software I am more used to. I don't know how most
authors expect to make any $$$ from shareware, as the software is too
bad. Pocket Grandmaster is an exception to this - the software is good
so I registered it.

I downloaded about 650 MB of free tools (compiler etc) from
Microsoft's site to create applications for PocketPC, but have not
tried to use any - I probably wont I must admit.

Just for the hell of it I would not mind porting my program 'atlc'

http://atlc.sourceforge.net/

It has been run under Windoze, Linux, numerous UNIX workstations, a
Cray supercomputer and a Sony Playstation 2 games console, so why not
PocketPC? More seriously, it is not an application one would want to
run on PocketPC, but porting it should not be too difficult, as the
basic program is command line driven. The GUI must be provided by
something that can read and write bitmap files.