Old March 1st 04, 01:06 AM
Larry S. Tamarkin

Default Bookup is good, but...

I like Mike Leahy's Book-Up product - It has some nice training
features and a crisp look to it.

Whenever I've seen Mike at tournaments, he was always polite to me &
acknowledged the virtues of other companies chess software, without
trying overly hard to convince me of the greatness of his own. (He
lets the Bookup advertising materials do that).

But the Bookup web page is a bit odd. The picture of Mike is just a
bit too manic - & probably encourages spammers in these newsgroups.

Larry Tamarkin
Former chess software addict!
Old March 1st 04, 01:37 AM
Linares_Lulls

Default Bookup crap and Mike Leahy is a liar, a spammer, and a thief!

Whenever I've seen Mike at tournaments, he was always polite to me &
acknowledged the virtues of other companies chess software, without
trying overly hard to convince me of the greatness of his own.

That is because "his own" software does not have any greatness, or even
anything redeeming about it. Leahy's whole angle is to suck you in to giving
him your email address and installing his lite version. Then he spams the
hell out of you (he also sells your email address to third parties that will
spam you as well) untill you decide to send him some money for the paid
versions of his program. (sounds like extortion to me). Then, when you
realize just how worthless bookup is, and try to take advantage of his
advertised "money back guarantee", he doesn't give you one red cent back. He
committed this theft against a friend of mine, whom I am trying to pursuede
to take the matter to court. He is very busy and says it isn't worth his
time.

Is the guy polite?

Yes, but that doesn't give him a right to misrepresent his software and to
steal from people. His funny picture on the website has nothing to do with
anything.

Ask yourself this question: Do you see anyone saying any negative things
about any other commercially available chess software. There are many people
that are saying very negative things about Bookup, and about Mike Leahy. The
fact that the guy comes across as so polite and friendly should make you
even MORE concerned about these assertions as there is no reason to dislike
the guy personally. Why would anyone make this up?

Jason Repa

Old March 1st 04, 02:01 AM
Noah Roberts

Linares_Lulls wrote:

Jason Repa

Why does this lameass keep changing his email address and post under
several different aliases? Does he really think people can't tell? I
hate to do it but I may have to filter the entire domain of shaw.ca just
to be rid of one asshole.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old March 1st 04, 02:16 AM
Linares_Lulls

"Noah Roberts" wrote in message
Linares_Lulls wrote:

Jason Repa

Why does this lameass keep changing his email address and post under
several different aliases? Does he really think people can't tell? I
hate to do it but I may have to filter the entire domain of shaw.ca just
to be rid of one asshole.

If you weren't a retarded imbecile, you were see that I clearly put my full
name under the post, so I wasn't trying to hide anything.

You have to be careful people.......Leahy is a crafty liar that owns several
newsgroup accounts that he uses to try to whitewash the claims made against
him. I would not be surprised if "Noah Roberts" is one of them.

Old March 1st 04, 02:37 PM
Mike Leahy

"Larry S. Tamarkin" wrote in message
om...
I like Mike Leahy's Book-Up product - It has some nice training
features and a crisp look to it.

Thanks, Larry. I also agree with the posters who want a more
up-to-date interface too. I'm working on it.

Whenever I've seen Mike at tournaments, he was always polite to me &
acknowledged the virtues of other companies chess software, without
trying overly hard to convince me of the greatness of his own. (He
lets the Bookup advertising materials do that).

But the Bookup web page is a bit odd. The picture of Mike is just a
bit too manic - & probably encourages spammers in these newsgroups.

Larry Tamarkin
Former chess software addict!

I've heard some interesting comments about the picture on my
website, but I've never heard anyone say it encourages
spammers in newsgroups!

So that's the answer... switch to a non-funny picture on my
home page and the newsgroup flames will subside.

Thanks, Larry! You'll have to expand on your theory; do you
suppose trolls are jealous of my devilishly handsome mug?
Or does "manic" attract "manic?"

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old March 2nd 04, 04:50 AM
Jay McKeen

The Internet Makes the Man - by Albert Camel

Act II, Scene III (Jason's bedroom, Winnie the Pooh covers on the bed.)

Jason Rabid (sound of keyboard clacking, and Jason muttering under his
breath) : "That's because Mike Leahy steals your email address and sucks
you in and tries to kidnap you!"

Jason leans back and reads the monitor: "I like it."

Mrs. Rabid from the hallway : "Jason! Get off the computer now and brush
your teeth, honey! You don't want to be tired for marching band practice.
What would they do without their best drum major?"

Jason Rabid : "OK, Mom, just one more troll!"

Mrs. Rabid: "Alright, Jason, but you take care of yourself. And don't
forget your Clearasil. You're not Superman, you know."

Jason Rabid: "Alllllriggght Mom."

He quickly types: "And he's a crafty liar too!"

news:I6J0c.659209$X%[email protected]

Old March 2nd 04, 11:17 AM
dajava

"Mike Leahy" wrote in message y.com...
"Larry S. Tamarkin" wrote in message
om...
I like Mike Leahy's Book-Up product - It has some nice training
features and a crisp look to it.

Thanks, Larry. I also agree with the posters who want a more
up-to-date interface too. I'm working on it.

- snip

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

How can I download bookup lite?

It seems that I once downloaded it a few months ago
and it cannot do that again

I got an error message that my e-mail address is already registered there
And I cannot foind unscribe menu.

Any hint?

dajava,

Old March 2nd 04, 08:14 PM
Mike Leahy

"dajava" wrote in message
om...
"Mike Leahy" wrote in message

y.com...
"Larry S. Tamarkin" wrote in message
om...
I like Mike Leahy's Book-Up product - It has some nice training
features and a crisp look to it.

Thanks, Larry. I also agree with the posters who want a more
up-to-date interface too. I'm working on it.

- snip

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

How can I download bookup lite?

It seems that I once downloaded it a few months ago
and it cannot do that again

I got an error message that my e-mail address is already registered there
And I cannot foind unscribe menu.

Any hint?

dajava,

Downloading Bookup Lite a second time is tricky. With the current
system (as you guessed) you have to unsubscribe and then sign up
again. To change your email address go to
http://www.bookup.com/bookuplitechange.htm

And don't step on any trolls on the way there.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

WARNING......BOOKUP is a scam being run by a single, out-of-work, hack programmer who is a known con-artist that makes posts here under many aliases! BEWARE!! newsnewsnews rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 38 August 14th 06 06:34 AM
Old Bookup Files?? Gollum rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 2 June 7th 04 01:57 PM
Fair warning to all fellow chess players.....Avoid the well-known liar and thief Mike Leahy with his ripoff software "Bookup".........stick to reputable chess software companies such as Chessbase, Convekta, etc Debbie Bauer Sucks Dick for Loose Change rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 0 March 8th 04 09:15 AM
RGCA: Akopian - Kramnik analysis Andrew Templeton rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 5 January 17th 04 03:15 AM
Bookup software Smc080178 rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 0 July 4th 03 06:36 AM