Old March 2nd 04, 03:11 AM
Jim Grieve

Default Novag Star Diamond or other PC-connectable

(I bought my nephew an Alaxandria chess coputer for Christmas & was very
impressed with it. I'm thinking of buying a Star Diamond for myself (much
more expensive). I searched through the chess groups (advanced google group
search) & haven't found much about this unit (the Star Diamond)other than
some strength comparisons. What I'm interested in is the serial computer
link:
Is this easy to use with Fritz or CM 9000? (plug & play??)
Can you play with a friend and have the PC record your games, or better yet
(as the specs say it has 8-game storage), can you plan some games with it in
person vs person mode and then save off your games to the PC later?
Are the pieces magnetic? (I have some rambuncious boxers at home...).

I'm not interested n the chess computer vs handheld issue(s)...as I want an
electronic chessboard to use when I'm studying from books or playing with
other people.

Any experience with this unit, or other electronic serial/PC capable units
would be helpful.

Also, what other ways do you use your PC-connectable that I may not have
thought of...

Thanks.

p.s since lurking here for tha past 6 months or so, I've bought a lot of
recommended books & software...you guys haven't steared me wrong yet!

Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product....hogwasher.html

Old March 2nd 04, 05:17 PM
pgeorges

Maybe you'll some information here :
http://www.novag.com/Web%202003/Manu...nd%20-%20F.pdf

Old March 3rd 04, 12:39 AM
DMB

Jim,
I have a Star Diamond. I don't know about using it with a PC program like
CM9000. But you can play it in 2-person mode, and then send the finished
game to the PC. Actually, I think you can have the Star Diamond echo the
moves to the PC as the game goes on, too. By the way, you use hyperterminal
on the PC as an interface. Also, you can store 64 games on the Star
Diamond, unless they've changed the specs. Mine stores 64 anyway, although
the manual says 16. The pieces are magnetic, although I don't believe they
grip very strongly onto the board; maybe just a little.

I haven't really used the Star Diamond in conjunction with the PC interface
all that much, to be honest.

I've been having fun playing it against several of CM 8000's personalities.
It must be somewhere in the 2200-2300 range, if CM 8000's ratings are
anywhere near accurate.

Darryl
link.net...