Old June 6th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.magyar,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Another Grandiose Claim by Susan Polgar

On the USCF Forums, Susan Polgar wrote,

"I am asked why my husband and I want to be on the board to serve.
Simple! We have completely different expertise in areas that can
greatly help the USCF which none of the candidates have. This board
knew what we can do. We had a potential sponsor who wanted to give $1
mil to chess gradually over the next few years. That individual told
this board specifically that he is very upset with the way how they
treated him. A number of board members were copied on the email by
this individual. He specifically requested to negotiate with Paul or
me. He cannot be clearer than this.

"Knowing this, the board refused to ask Paul or me to step in and
help. All of a sudden, Mr. Lux (a nice person but has no experience
dealing with this kind of sponsor), who was not copied on any of the
emails, called this individual. This potential sponsor refused to take
his call and was furious. He ended all negotiations with this board. I
cannot even repeat what he said to the board members. Because of this,
the USCF lost another potential $1 million sponsor.

"Thank you for letting me know about the question.

"Best wishes,

"Susan Polgar
"www.SusanPolgar.com
"www.SusanPolgar.blogspot.com
"www.SusanPolgarFoundation.org"

Susan is referring to Dr. Erik Moskow, a well known chess personality.
It is well known and hardly a secret that he has often offered big
money to buy his way into grandmaster events. He is a master who
recently played in a grandmaster tournament in Norway. That is how he
got in.

At the board meeting in Monrovia, Los Angeles County, California on
February 3-4, 2007, Bill Goichberg proposed allowing patrons to buy
their way into the US Championship upon payment of $50,000. He
mentioned Eric Moskow who had offered a similar amount in the past.

I called Dr. Moskow whom I have known for 25 years and told him about
this. Dr. Moskow said that I was the first person from the USCF to
contact him in many years.

Dr. Moskow then launched into an anti-Goichberg diatribe. He basically
said that he would pay MORE than $50,000 but only if Bill Goichberg
was not involved. I believe that the amount he mentioned was $250,000.
He made it clear that none of this will take place as long as Bill
Goichberg is USCF President.

I checked with other sources and confirmed that Eric Moskow really
does have a lot of money and really can easily afford to pay $250,000.
His parents, now deceased, owned a major hotel on Miami Beach.

However, Bill Goichberg has no plans to step down.

I reported this to other members of the board. Eventually, Jerry
Hanken and Joe Lux asked me for Dr. Moskow's number, which is not easy
to find, and I gave it to them.

Later on, Bill Goichberg announced on the USCF website the patron
entry fees of $50,000 for the USCF Championship. This announcement was
made with Eric Moskow in mind. I disagreed. I felt that he would not
want it publicized in this way and that the offer should be
communicated to him privately. He would want it thought that he had
somehow qualified to the US Championship, not that he had bought his
way in. As it turned out, nobody paid the $50,000, but one GM paid
$3,000 and one IM paid $5,000 to get into the US Championship.

I could do exactly what Susan is doing here, by saying, "Elect me and
I will bring in this secret person who will provide one million
dollars." However, I am not doing that. If I am elected, at the right
time and under the right circumstances, I will call Dr. Moscow again
and there is some possibility that I will be able to make a deal with
him, but I make no representations or promises in this regard.