Old March 2nd 04, 05:06 PM
Wayne Martin

Default Nalimov endgames

Two questions.

I'm using Chess Tiger 15 right now and have 3, 4 and 5 Nalimov endgame
tablebases setup to use. Should I setup the program to access the
tablebases as much as possible? It's currently set for "4" and the
lower the number, the more it accesses the base. Would setting it to
"0" be detrimental to the searching algorithm during a regular game?

My other question was, I was thinking of downloading a few 6 endgame
tablebases however since they're so huge, I only want to download the
most important ones. Can anyone direct me to which ones those would
be?

Thanks for any help!

Old March 2nd 04, 05:44 PM
Euclid

It depends on the position. As you approach the endgame, then proceed
through the endgame, the tablebases will be accessed more & more. There's no
hard & fast rule, but I have a rule of thumb. If the kN/s speed drops by
more than 50%, I will consider cutting back on tablebase access. If it drops
by 90% or more, then I will almost certainly reduce their access or turn
them off - if I want to run the analysis for more than an hour. Reason: it's
very hard on the hard drive. That's easy to determine. Turn off tablebase
access briefly to see how fast it is without.

You're going to need the pawnless 3-3 and 4-2 tablebases [227GB] before you
can use the ones with pawns. So I'd get those first. The 5-1 aren't
available yet insofar as I'm aware, but I haven't looked.
--
Euclid

Old March 3rd 04, 05:03 AM
Euclid

A new discovery here...
I was having heavy hard drive churning due to tablebase access and found
that reducing my hash size helped considerably. I guess the hash tables and
tablebase cache may be in competition with each other for the paging file,
or something(?). In any case it worked. I was only getting about 120kN/s
with 512MB hash, and the speed went over 300kN/s (near normal) when I
reduced hash to 256MB. So it's worth a try. Also it's the only thing I've
ever found that has any effect in this case.
-E

link.net...