Old June 7th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Installing FICS Server

Hello !

I am interested in installing my own Chess-Server using chessd/lasker or
so. Also I plan to you engines like crafty or gnuchess for autoplay. I
searched the web for howto or docus, but didn`t found any furthermore
infos.

The Server is up and running, using lasker.. (chessd without mysql). Now
I integrated icsDrone and crafty 21.4, but crafty didn`t start with
white - when I play white anything is ok....

Has anyone more information or the liks to the software used at FICS or
the other FreeInternetChessServer....

Thanks....

Greetings.......Detlef
Old June 8th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 7, 4:53 pm, "Detlef" wrote:
Hello !

I am interested in installing my own Chess-Server using chessd/lasker or
so. Also I plan to you engines like crafty or gnuchess for autoplay. I
searched the web for howto or docus, but didn`t found any furthermore
infos.

The Server is up and running, using lasker.. (chessd without mysql). Now
I integrated icsDrone and crafty 21.4, but crafty didn`t start with
white - when I play white anything is ok....

Has anyone more information or the liks to the software used at FICS or
the other FreeInternetChessServer....

You can build and run http://chessd.sf.net which is the old chessd,
lasker, and so on, with updates and corrections from Brazilian
developers at Universidade Federal do Paraná, and a PostgreSQL/MySQL
back-end. I have a test site running at http://chessd.smartgames.ca/
that you are welcome to play with. Bug reports to the project site.

--Toby

Thanks....

Greetings.......Detlef

Old June 9th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default AW: Installing FICS Server

toby:

You can build and run http://chessd.sf.net which is the old chessd,
lasker, and so on, with updates and corrections from Brazilian
developers at Universidade Federal do Paran=E1, and a

PostgreSQL/MySQL
back-end. I have a test site running at http://chessd.smartgames.ca/
that you are welcome to play with. Bug reports to the project site.

--Toby

I did this and installed the Chrysallis-Version of chessd. Perhaps you
can tell me where I can get the code for a chess-lecture and help me a
little bit in installing some engines ?

I installed crafty and gnuchess using icsdrone, but I get always the
error, that both of them arenīt beginning with white. There must be a
way, because FICS are doining this fine.....

Thanks in advance...

Detlef

PS: Testing my installation is via telnet intra2.delaco.de 5000......
8=)
Old June 9th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 9, 11:49 am, "Detlef" wrote:
toby:

You can build and runhttp://chessd.sf.netwhich is the old chessd,
lasker, and so on, with updates and corrections from Brazilian
developers at Universidade Federal do Paran=E1, and a

PostgreSQL/MySQL
back-end. I have a test site running athttp://chessd.smartgames.ca/
that you are welcome to play with. Bug reports to the project site.

--Toby

I did this and installed the Chrysallis-Version of chessd.

I hope you mean the latest version.

Perhaps you
can tell me where I can get the code for a chess-lecture and help me a
little bit in installing some engines ?

I have not used it with any engines. You could post on the project
mailing list however, someone else may have.

I installed crafty and gnuchess using icsdrone, but I get always the
error, that both of them arenīt beginning with white. There must be a
way, because FICS are doining this fine.....

The only clients I've been able to use are winboard and xboard -
probably due to the age of the server code. Client compatibility would
be an area open to bug reports, I think...

Old June 9th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:49:14 +0200, Detlef wrote:

I installed crafty and gnuchess using icsdrone, but I get always the
error, that both of them arenÂīt beginning with white.

I always used zippy (Xboard/(Winboard?) feature) when testing new
versions of GNU Chess rather than icsdrone.

I fixed GNU Chess 5 so recent versions should work with icsdrone, but I
found Zippy easier to follow what was happening, I'd just run it with a
small window in the corner of the screen.

Old June 10th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dear Simon !

I always used zippy (Xboard/(Winboard?) feature) when testing new
versions of GNU Chess rather than icsdrone.

First I tried icsDone - with half of a function - only when I play
white, then I can use icsDrone. It didnīt start with white.

Now Iīve installed zippy with XBoard - everything is ok ... but.. I have
to leave an X-Window open (no question when using a X-Program 8=)... But
I need a program that I can daemonize, because it shall run in the
Backgroud, preferable running on the same maschine than the server.

I fixed GNU Chess 5 so recent versions should work with icsdrone, but

found Zippy easier to follow what was happening, I'd just run it with

small window in the corner of the screen.

Gnuchess will be my next tryout - I hope to setup a multiplayer-system
with different computerplayers...

Thanks !

Detlef
Old June 10th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dear Toby

I did this and installed the Chrysallis-Version of chessd.

I hope you mean the latest version.

Well, I tried out the lastest version(s) ( both the download and the
SVN-Version), but this version lacks of missing some commands in
difference to the lastest "lasker"-Version

I have not used it with any engines. You could post on the project
mailing list however, someone else may have.

Because of having not so many human-players (at this time there will be
approx. 5 (8=) ), I think of setting up a computer-guided server with
some maschine-players. btw.: LectureBot runs fine now..

The only clients I've been able to use are winboard and xboard -
probably due to the age of the server code. Client compatibility

would
be an area open to bug reports, I think...

I installed xboard with lasker .... but as posted in an earlier message
here, I have to leave a X.Windows session open (no question about
it....) so perhaps a console-based client will be better... (because the
server is based in my Datacenter..)

PS: Testing my installation is via telnet intra2.delaco.de

5000......

I could generate a account for you, if you are interested (also for all
others, which want to test the server)

Old June 12th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 10, 4:52 pm, "Detlef" wrote:
Dear Toby

I did this and installed the Chrysallis-Version of chessd.

I hope you mean the latest version.

Well, I tried out the lastest version(s) ( both the download and the
SVN-Version), but this version lacks of missing some commands in
difference to the lastest "lasker"-Version

Admin commands are missing. I'm not fully sure why. I guess they would
have had to have been rewritten for the RDBMS back-end, and instead
the UFPR team focused on web admin? This question has been asked on
the mailing list.

I have not used it with any engines. You could post on the project
mailing list however, someone else may have.

Because of having not so many human-players (at this time there will be
approx. 5 (8=) ), I think of setting up a computer-guided server with
some maschine-players. btw.: LectureBot runs fine now..

The only clients I've been able to use are winboard and xboard -
probably due to the age of the server code. Client compatibility

would
be an area open to bug reports, I think...

I installed xboard with lasker .... but as posted in an earlier message
here, I have to leave a X.Windows session open (no question about
it....) so perhaps a console-based client will be better...

Telnet works fine, yes.

(because the
server is based in my Datacenter..)

PS: Testing my installation is via telnet intra2.delaco.de

5000......

I could generate a account for you, if you are interested (also for all
others, which want to test the server)

I barely have time to test my own. :/