Old June 10th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Unusual Fork?

Do you think White playing Be6 in this position can be considered a
fork on the rook at h3 and the "mating square" at f5? I always thought
a fork meant two pieces (or mating squares) on different lines but I
suppose in principle, this might also count as a fork. What do you
think?

R7/7k/5P2/3B2Pp/1r5p/7r/7P/6K1 w - -
Old June 10th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 9, 8:23 pm, (Azlan) wrote:
Do you think White playing Be6 in this position can be considered a
fork on the rook at h3 and the "mating square" at f5? I always thought
a fork meant two pieces (or mating squares) on different lines but I
suppose in principle, this might also count as a fork. What do you
think?

R7/7k/5P2/3B2Pp/1r5p/7r/7P/6K1 w - -

Yes, I would consider this a fork. A fork doesn't necessarily have to
attack two enemy pieces, just make two threats at once. After Be6,
Black must either move the King or guard the f5 square. Either way,
Black will lose material, although it may not be immediate. Black can
respond with 1...Rf3 2.Ra7+ Kh8 {forced} 3.g6! Rg4+ {forced} 4.Bxg4
Rxf6 5.Bxh5 and White wins easily.

But as it turns out, 1.Ra7+ is probably the best move, leading to
1...Kg6 2.Rg7+ Kf5 3.f7, and this should be a very easy win for White.

jm