Old June 12th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Writing my own GUI for Crafty

Hi guys n gals
from early research on the net I came across this text group as a
possible place to contact Dr Hyatt on questions about Crafty. Basically
the topic says it all....I have a GUI for a chess program I'm writing
and spending a lot of time on at the moment (only partially done) using
Borland Delphi 2006. I've read through the documentation for Crafty and
I have no idea how to interface my GUI with the engine...basically I
need some ideas about how to send Crafty information from my GUI and how
to recieve Crafty's output back in my program. Is there any information
out there that could help me?
Thanks in advance,
Darren B
Old June 12th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dazzy B wrote:
Hi guys n gals
from early research on the net I came across this text group as a
possible place to contact Dr Hyatt on questions about Crafty. Basically
the topic says it all....I have a GUI for a chess program I'm writing
and spending a lot of time on at the moment (only partially done) using
Borland Delphi 2006. I've read through the documentation for Crafty and
I have no idea how to interface my GUI with the engine...basically I
need some ideas about how to send Crafty information from my GUI and how
to recieve Crafty's output back in my program. Is there any information
out there that could help me?
Thanks in advance,
Darren B

Here is a beginning for your search...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Chess_Interface

Old June 12th 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

JohnnyT a écrit :
Dazzy B wrote:
Hi guys n gals
from early research on the net I came across this text group as a
possible place to contact Dr Hyatt on questions about Crafty. Basically
the topic says it all....I have a GUI for a chess program I'm writing
and spending a lot of time on at the moment (only partially done) using
Borland Delphi 2006. I've read through the documentation for Crafty and
I have no idea how to interface my GUI with the engine...basically I
need some ideas about how to send Crafty information from my GUI and how
to recieve Crafty's output back in my program. Is there any information
out there that could help me?
Thanks in advance,
Darren B

Here is a beginning for your search...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Chess_Interface

Crafty is not using UCI but xboard protocol.
http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard/engine-intf.html
Old June 12th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"Dazzy B" [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi guys n gals
from early research on the net I came across this text group as a
possible place to contact Dr Hyatt on questions about Crafty. Basically

Dr. Hyatt no longer posts here.

All the spam, bickering, flames, etc. drove him away. (Along with many of
the other computer chess people, including the 'old timers' back from the
60s, 70s, and 80s era programs.)

You can find him now on places like the TalkChess programming forum and the
WinBoard programming forum.

http://wbforum.vpittlik.org/viewforum.php?f=4

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewf...opic_view=flat

Neither place tolerates spam, flames, etc. so they are fairly safe places to
go if you only want to talk about computer chess.

Crafty already is set up to use the xboard / winboard gui, so all you have
to do is basically pipe the data to / from Crafty and interpret the text

Old June 12th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hello:
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Hi James, JohnnyT and Hello
thanks for your prompt and helpful replies...armed with the extra info
you guys (/gals) supplied I can at least move forward another step.
Thanks again
Dazzy B