Old June 13th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Rybka takes on

Clearly Rybka has some new heuristics in its way of dealing with
endgames. I was most surprised when it found this solution outright.

IM Vasik Rajlich author of Rybka has written to the Fide president to ask in
effect, what was so 'ultimate' about the Ultimate Computer Challenge?

He notes the curious fact that among other curiosities in the selection
process Chessbase markets 3 of the top 10 engines, and 2 of them are in it -
Then throws down the gauntlet:-

"In the spirit of open competition, I am formally offering a $100,000
computer chess challenge from Rybka to FIDE, who will be represented by the
winner of the Ultimate Computer Chess Challenge 2007. My challenge consists
of a 24 game match, at classical time controls, on unlimited hardware and
with unlimited opening books, held at 2 games per day over twelve days, with
Rybka giving a handicap of one point plus draw odds and thus requiring a
score of 13 out of 24 or better to win the match. The prize fund of $100,000
should be a winner-takes-all, loser-pays-all proposition."

Phil Innes

Old June 13th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 13, 7:27 am, "Chess One" wrote:

[...]

Remembering the Lasker/Capablanca dispute, I think
it is fair to say that were Deep Junior to "win" such a
match by scoring 12 or 12.5 out of 24 games, the chess
world would not consider it a win at all, but rather, a loss.
(It looks like the offer of odds is intended to scarf some
"easy money".)

What I would like to see is a match where both players
have identical hardware, so the playing field is perfectly
level. In the recent match wherein Deep Junior was
allotted a massive advantage, it looked like a fix; a mere
marketing decision, to increase sales of the (presumably)
lagging program. The more horses Chessbase can keep
in the race, the more money they will likely make.

-- help bot

Old June 13th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

"help bot" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes, I think that is the commercial perspective. As to Rybka's challenge to
even enter the competition, you don't really think that Fide have any more
ethics as discussing this impartially, than, say, the CJA have, do you? In
place of ethics we got us a plain straightforward challenge.

PI

-- help bot

Old June 14th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 13, 4:11 pm, "Chess One" wrote:

Remembering the Lasker/Capablanca dispute, I think
it is fair to say that were Deep Junior to "win" such a
match by scoring 12 or 12.5 out of 24 games, the chess
world would not consider it a win at all, but rather, a loss.
(It looks like the offer of odds is intended to scarf some
"easy money".)

Oops! I meant if DJ were to "win" by 11.5 or 12 out of 24
games, utilizing the proffered odds.

What I would like to see is a match where both players
have identical hardware, so the playing field is perfectly
level. In the recent match wherein Deep Junior was
allotted a massive advantage, it looked like a fix; a mere
marketing decision, to increase sales of the (presumably)
lagging program. The more horses Chessbase can keep
in the race, the more money they will likely make.

Yes, I think that is the commercial perspective. As to Rybka's challenge to
even enter the competition, you don't really think that Fide have any more
ethics as discussing this impartially, than, say, the CJA have, do you?

This idea makes no logical sense; for one thing, you
used "FIDE" and "ethics" in the same sentence without
inserting the mandatory "mutually-exclusive" symbol.

My guess (and it is only a wild guess) is that someone
at "Chessbase" saw a chance for publicity and/or money,
and grabbed it.

In place of ethics we got us a plain straightforward challenge.

Not quite. A *straightforward* challenge would
not cleverly incorporate unfair terms which no self-
respecting opponent could possibly accept. It
might be better to issue a rational challenge in
which the folks at Chessbase have something to
gain, but in view of Rybka's superiority, I can't
hardly think of any such terms. Maybe a simul,
where Rybka plays Deep Fritz and Deep Junior
at the same time? If either program draws, this
could be hyped as a selling point. ;D

-- help bot