Old June 17th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default How to download endgame tablebase from Endgame Tablebases Online page

I can't find where you can download endgame tablebases from
http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/tablebases-online/ The links with the
pieces, tbs, and MD5 don't seem to do it. Can someone point me to
where they can be downloaded?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old June 17th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Jud McCranie wrote:
I can't find where you can download endgame tablebases from
http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/tablebases-online/ The links with the
pieces, tbs, and MD5 don't seem to do it.

Read the Introduction a bit more carefully ... particularly the part
about eMule.

All links are ed2k links, and require eMule or close relatives.

--
Anders Thulin anders*thulin.name http://www.anders.thulin.name/
Old June 17th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:38:50 GMT, Anders Thulin
wrote:

Jud McCranie wrote:
I can't find where you can download endgame tablebases from
http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/tablebases-online/ The links with the
pieces, tbs, and MD5 don't seem to do it.

Read the Introduction a bit more carefully ... particularly the part
about eMule.

All links are ed2k links, and require eMule or close relatives.

Later I did find out about eMule and I installed that. However, when
I got a download to start, it was going at slower than dialup speed,
so it was going to take several days to download just the files for
one ending. I stopped that one and tried a few other servers, and
none of them would even start. They would just say "waiting".

Is there a server that works and works at broadband speed?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old June 17th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Is emule freeware?

"cbseries" wrote in message

To download from that site you need a program called emule if you are
using Windows, or amule if you are using Linux or Mac. On the site,
just below the "Introduction" heading tells of this.

Old June 17th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Jud McCranie wrote:

Later I did find out about eMule and I installed that. However, when
I got a download to start, it was going at slower than dialup speed,
so it was going to take several days to download just the files for
one ending. I stopped that one and tried a few other servers, and
none of them would even start. They would just say "waiting".

Is there a server that works and works at broadband speed?

eMule (or perhaps it eDonkey) chops files into chunks that seem
to be 9-10 Mb. You download a chunk at a time, after which the peer
puts you back in its queue. How quickly you reach the front again
is anyone's guess.

There are a few systems that seem to give you all they have for
as long as it takes, but typically it takes perhaps a week to
get a file. Of course, the thing is that if you place say 15-20
files in your request queue, it still will take about a week
to get them all (assuming they're frequent files, and available
from many eMule systems). Rare files will come at a speed entirely
depending on the few systems that share them.

You can improve things by ensuring that you do not have a low
ID problem -- that tends to downrate you, as you then don't talk
directly to your peer. And you can also improve things by sharing
your downloaded files -- that, too, will increase your status.
Look through the Thread1 and Thread2 references on the web page for
recommendations.

On the other hand, downloads tend to be faultless, and if there
are problems, they're isolated to small segments which are then
downloaded again automatically. With less capable methods, you
often have to redo from the top.

If you have to use FTP or HTTP, there are some links in the
'Additional information' section that you may want to check out.

--
Anders Thulin anders*thulin.name http://www.anders.thulin.name/

Old June 17th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:32:05 GMT, Anders Thulin
wrote:

There are a few systems that seem to give you all they have for
as long as it takes, but typically it takes perhaps a week to
get a file.

I've had a download of KBNNKR going for several hours, and at this
rate it is going to take about 8 days! It is slower than dialup.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old June 17th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

There are a few systems that seem to give you all they have for
as long as it takes, but typically it takes perhaps a week to
get a file.

Roughly how long would it take to generate KBNNKR on a 2.2 GHz Athlon
64x2 with 4 GB of memory?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Old June 17th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:
There are a few systems that seem to give you all they have for
as long as it takes, but typically it takes perhaps a week to
get a file.

They are quite big files (approx 700MB) and some of the really huge
ones are 3GB.
Do you already have the 3-4-5 men tablebases from Bob Hyatts site
(total 5GB)?

I don't consider the 6 men ones worth the effort of downloading for
"free" it would burn up too much of my available bandwidth! When I get
around to it I will buy the DVD set of 50GB (excluding 5+1).

Incidentally does anyone have figures of merit for the best subset(s)
of 6 men tablebases to add to get optimum play. My instinct is that
adding the ones for finely balanced material positions would make good
sense - and also those for potential material with pawns still in play
(and their descendants).

Roughly how long would it take to generate KBNNKR on a 2.2 GHz Athlon
64x2 with 4 GB of memory?

I have never tried to compute 6 men tablebases, but based on the 5 men
ones that I have I would hazard a guess at something between 60 and
500h running flat out. The answer being dependent on how well your
disk subsystem stands up to being thrashed relentlessly for days at a
time. The intermediate files are larger. It is a good machine stress
test.

The worst 5 men case that I actually timed was KNPPK which took a
shade under 10h on an Intel P4 3GHz system 1GB ram. KBNNK would
probably have taken about 7h, add the enemy rook and it will take ~60x
longer.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old June 18th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:12:30 -0700, Martin Brown
wrote:

Do you already have the 3-4-5 men tablebases from Bob Hyatts site
(total 5GB)?

Yes, I have the Chessbase Endgame Turbo 2, 5 DVD set with all 3-4-5
and a few 6-piece endings.

I don't consider the 6 men ones worth the effort of downloading for
"free" it would burn up too much of my available bandwidth! When I get
around to it I will buy the DVD set of 50GB (excluding 5+1).

That must be the 9-DVD set.

I have never tried to compute 6 men tablebases, but based on the 5 men
ones that I have I would hazard a guess at something between 60 and
500h running flat out.

Versus approximately 200 hours to d/l (at the speed I'm getting). :-(
--
Replace you know what by j to email