Old June 18th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Tom Tom is offline

Default web based chess board

Hi,

Apologies if this is an inappropriate place to post this, but I've
knocked together a simple web based chess board program and thought
others may find it useful. It's available at http://www.tomjefferys.co.uk/chess/chess.html
..

The reason I wrote it is to facilitate playing email chess, and also
to give my javascript/css skills a workout. You can make moves by
clicking and dragging a piece, and you can then create a permanent URL
to that particular position (ie so you can then email it to whoever
your playing, or just bookmark the game for later), it also has
rudimentary support for PGN files. It's done almost completely in
DHTML (no flash etc), and should work in most modern web browsers.
(However, unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac, so I wouldn't be
surprised if it doesn't work in Safari). Hope it's of some use.

Thanks,

Tom

Old June 18th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Tom wrote:

Apologies if this is an inappropriate place to post this, but I've
knocked together a simple web based chess board program and thought
others may find it useful. It's available at
http://www.tomjefferys.co.uk/chess/chess.html

The reason I wrote it is to facilitate playing email chess, and also
to give my javascript/css skills a workout. You can make moves by
clicking and dragging a piece, and you can then create a permanent URL
to that particular position (ie so you can then email it to whoever
your playing, or just bookmark the game for later), it also has
rudimentary support for PGN files. It's done almost completely in
DHTML (no flash etc), and should work in most modern web browsers.
(However, unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac, so I wouldn't be
surprised if it doesn't work in Safari). Hope it's of some use.

Very nice!

Colors need tweaking. Dark pieces on dark squares are hard to see.

With a slight modification, this would be an ideal way to publish
an opening or a tutorial on a website. Just add a tree of moves
with the usual "click on the plus sig to expand, click on the
minus sign to collapse" scheme on the move tree, and make it so
that when you click on a move in the tree, the board walks down
from the root playing the moves and thus generating the position
for that move. A text comment below the board would be a good way
to annotate the move tree for tutorial use.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old June 27th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Tom wrote:
It's available at http://www.tomjefferys.co.uk/chess/chess.html

No such domain. Did your registration lapse or did you typo the URL?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Solar-Powered.com (TM): it's like an
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ E-commerce portal but it doesn't work
Old June 27th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
Tom wrote:
It's available at http://www.tomjefferys.co.uk/chess/chess.html

No such domain. Did your registration lapse or did you typo the URL?

Oh. Seems to be working, now.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Aquatic Radioactive Goldfish (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a fish but it'll make you
Old June 27th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Tom wrote:
Apologies if this is an inappropriate place to post this, but I've
knocked together a simple web based chess board program and thought
others may find it useful. It's available at
http://www.tomjefferys.co.uk/chess/chess.html

Nice. One small point: the notation for pawn captures is wrong. They
come up as just `xf6' or whatever, instead of `exf6'. Strangely, en
passant seems to work fine: `1.e4 e6 2.e5 d6 3.xd6' but `1.e4 e6 2.e5
d5 3.exd6.' Also, checkmating moves don't seem to get entered in the
move list, e.g., `1.f3 e5 2.g4 Checkmate: Black wins.'

Dave.

--
David Richerby Solar-Powered Toy (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ fun child's toy but it doesn't work