Old March 7th 04, 02:10 PM
Stephen Rybacki

Default CM6000 -> ????? for Win 2K Pro

All,

New to this group but a long time Chessmaster series owner
(CM2000-CM3000-CM6000). I would like to get a quality computer
chess program for use on my Win 2K Pro workstation and I have noted
with a bit of wonder that the Chessmaster series has never officially
supported this platform!

I am not opposed to going with some other program as long as it
contains good teaching material for intermediate players like me and
has all of the same features as the Chessmaster series has. What are
some good choices? WIll Chessmaster 9000 actually run on Win 2K in
spite of the lack of "official" support?

TIA,

Six
Old March 7th 04, 03:06 PM
John Cordes

Stephen Rybacki wrote:
All,

New to this group but a long time Chessmaster series owner
(CM2000-CM3000-CM6000). I would like to get a quality computer
chess program for use on my Win 2K Pro workstation and I have noted
with a bit of wonder that the Chessmaster series has never officially
supported this platform!

I am not opposed to going with some other program as long as it
contains good teaching material for intermediate players like me and
has all of the same features as the Chessmaster series has. What are
some good choices? WIll Chessmaster 9000 actually run on Win 2K in
spite of the lack of "official" support?

TIA,

Six

Runs fine here on Win2K Pro.

--
John Cordes
Old March 7th 04, 03:39 PM
Stephen Rybacki

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:06:21 GMT, John Cordes
wrote:

Stephen Rybacki wrote:
All,

New to this group but a long time Chessmaster series owner
(CM2000-CM3000-CM6000). I would like to get a quality computer
chess program for use on my Win 2K Pro workstation and I have noted
with a bit of wonder that the Chessmaster series has never officially
supported this platform!

I am not opposed to going with some other program as long as it
contains good teaching material for intermediate players like me and
has all of the same features as the Chessmaster series has. What are
some good choices? WIll Chessmaster 9000 actually run on Win 2K in
spite of the lack of "official" support?

TIA,

Six

Runs fine here on Win2K Pro.

The reason I ask is because my CM6000 install program won't even start
to install on Win 2K. I can go over to my WIn98 boot drive and all,
but it's a pain in the tuckass ;=)

And what about this Fritz program? Is it any good, I mean as compared
to Chessmaster? As you can tell, I have paid NO attention to this
stuff for a long time...

Thanks for the response!

Six
Old March 7th 04, 04:25 PM
John Cordes

wrote:

Stephen Rybacki wrote:
[...]

I just want to emphasize that I was referring to CM9000 when I said
it runs fine on Win2K Pro - I have no experience with CM6000 (though I
did run CM2000 on my Atari ST!).

--
John Cordes
Old March 7th 04, 07:09 PM
John Merlino

wrote:

Stephen Rybacki wrote:
[...]

If you liked Chessmaster 6000, you should definitely CM9000. It
contains MUCH more of the same goodness that you are used to with the
CM series. The interface has been improved, and the engine and quality
of the analysis (along with the analysis features themselves) are much
improved. Additionally, there is a great deal of new teaching content
that will keep you busy for MANY hours.

However, if you feel like a change of pace, you could certainly check
out any of the Chessbase programs, such as Fritz. I have very little
experience with them, so I'll leave it to somebody else to compare and
contrast the two programs.

jm

Old March 7th 04, 10:50 PM
Stephen Rybacki

I just want to emphasize that I was referring to CM9000 when I said
it runs fine on Win2K Pro - I have no experience with CM6000 (though I
did run CM2000 on my Atari ST!).

I know what you meant. Thanks for telling me too! I was just saying
that I know my CM6000 won't even install is all.

Atari ST? I had an 800XL back in the day. Loved that machine really
and that is where I got introduced to the Chessamster 2000 as well.

Cool...

Six
Old March 8th 04, 11:31 AM
David Richerby

Stephen Rybacki wrote:
And what about this Fritz program? Is it any good, I mean as compared
to Chessmaster? As you can tell, I have paid NO attention to this
stuff for a long time...

Fritz has no tutorials so probably isn't what you want. At full strength,
it plays very good chess but there isn't a very good way to get it to play
sensible chess of lower strength. `Friend mode' seems to me to play like
a grandmaster except it evens things up by blundering pieces. `Sparring
mode', which makes deliberate tactical errors from time to time, is better
but, again, it's annoying to invest any significant amount of effort in a
game (either trying to convert a slight advantage to a win or trying to
hold on to an inferior position) when you know that your opponent is going
to blunder.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Homicidal.com (TM): it's like an
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ E-commerce portal but it wants to