Old March 10th 04, 04:59 AM
Jestrada

Default THE TRAP WHICH EVERYONE WANTED ON HOW TO BEAT CM8000

Based on the above, you suggest the following opening trap, with the
key move being the computer making a mistake with 9...Qxb2? Here's
the game opening in PGN:

[White "CricketConnoisseur"]
[Black "Chessmaster 8000"]
[Result "1-0"]

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Bf4 Bg7 5.e3 O-O 6.Be2 c5 7.Ne5 cxd4
8.exd4 Qb6 9.a3 Qxb2? 10.Na4 Qxa1 11.Qxa1

The key position is after 9.a3 which is the following FEN:
rnb2rk1/pp2ppbp/1q3np1/3pN3/3P1B2/P1N5/1PP1BPPP/R2QK2R b KQ - 0 9

You are correct that if the computer plays 9...Qxb2, white wins a
queen for a rook, which is very good and winning for white. This is
certainly an excellent trap to use against beginner chess players.

But Chessmaster is not a beginner chess player, and I do not believe
that Chessmaster will play 9...Qxb2 unless you are playing it at a
very weak setting.

I tried it with Chessmaster, and it chooses 9...Bf5 or 9...Nc6. It
will only choose 9...Qxb2?? if you have it set on depth 1 or some very
low setting. Any normal setting and it knows that this move is a big
blunder, and will *not* play it.

I checked this position in Chessmaster's "Game Room" and used
Chessmaster's mentor lines (which shows all the positions it would
choose), and it would absolutely NOT choose 9...Qxb2.

I hate to disappoint you, but if your Chessmaster played 9...Qxb2??
then it was certainly not playing at full strength.

You did well to come up with this nice trap, however, and it certainly
would be fun to play on beginner chess players.

Regards from one chess player to another,
Jestrada
Old March 10th 04, 02:39 PM
CricketConnoisseur

(Jestrada) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Yes, it is a very good trap and would work on even some intermediate
level chessplayers if they were not aware of this trap.

It is possible that my chessmaster was not playing at full strength.
After all how could one beat Chessmaster himself (and that too in a
rated game) if it was playing at full strength. However, it was a
great feeling to beat chessmaster himself in a rated game and get that
certificate of congratulations.

Regards,

Chessplayer

Old March 11th 04, 02:27 AM
CricketConnoisseur

Noah Roberts wrote in message ...
CricketConnoisseur wrote:
(Jestrada) wrote in message . com...

I hate to disappoint you, but if your Chessmaster played 9...Qxb2??
then it was certainly not playing at full strength.

You did well to come up with this nice trap, however, and it certainly
would be fun to play on beginner chess players.

Yes, it is a very good trap and would work on even some intermediate
level chessplayers if they were not aware of this trap.

It is possible that my chessmaster was not playing at full strength.
After all how could one beat Chessmaster himself (and that too in a
rated game) if it was playing at full strength. However, it was a
great feeling to beat chessmaster himself in a rated game and get that
certificate of congratulations.

The problem is that you made such a big deal of it. Refusing to post
your game even, apparently so others could beat the game without
"cheating". The fact that it turns out your engine made an obvious
blunder is just kind of funny.

So, learn from it. Next time you think you did a such wonderful job and
someone asks to see your game just show it. Don't play silly games.

The whole purpose of this exercise is to let others know how you have
done and so they too can learn something. The trap which I used may
not work on your computer but its still an excellent trap to know and
can work on many players who are unaware of it.

I wasn't intending to play games. However, if my methods upset certain
people, I apologize. I did beat chessmaster himself (and that too in a
rated game). After I did so, the computer printed out a certifcate
stating "Congratulations on beating chessmaster in championship mode."
However, since the computer fell for my trap some people felt that it
may not have been playing at full strength. Okay, I'll now practice on
a computer at full strength. Hopefully, I'll be able to at least draw
(if not beat) chessmaster playing on such a computer. If and when I
accomplish something on that I will post my game.

Regards,

Chessplayer