Old March 11th 04, 03:25 AM
jake johnson

Default poor crafty perf after compile on linux 2.6.1

I just wanted to give an update to my Jan 2004 orginial post below. I
installed crafty v19.1 (from package) on FreeBSD 5.2.1 installed on
the same machine and get 410,000 NPS during 'bench' (vs. 350,000 NPS
for linux 2.6.1).

I'll be happy to actually compile crafty on FreeBSD, if anyone has
hints on the commands needed. Thanks.

I run Slackware 9.1 on an AMD 800Mhz and I installed the 2.6.1 kernel.
I compiled crafty 19.6 using the below commands since the make
targets wouldn't work.

# export CC=gcc CXX=g++ target=LINUX CFLAGS="-Os -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized"
# mv Makefile Makefile.bak
# sed "/-o crafty/s/CC/CXX/" Makefile.bak Makefile
# make CXX=g++ crafty-make

Now I get subpar performance, which I'd define as 350,000 nodes per
second during 'bench' when an 800Mhz T-bird (clocked at 880Mhz) should
get around 600,000 NPS.

I think I'll also install FreeBSD on this computer and see what
performance it might yield on a crafty binary distribution, but I'd
appreciate knowing whether my poor performance is due to the way I
compiled crafty.

thanks -
Old March 11th 04, 10:43 AM
David Richerby

jake johnson wrote:
I run Slackware 9.1 on an AMD 800Mhz and I installed the 2.6.1 kernel.
I compiled crafty 19.6 using the below commands since the make
targets wouldn't work.

# export CC=gcc CXX=g++ target=LINUX CFLAGS="-Os -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized"
# mv Makefile Makefile.bak
# sed "/-o crafty/s/CC/CXX/" Makefile.bak Makefile
# make CXX=g++ crafty-make

Now I get subpar performance, which I'd define as 350,000 nodes per
second during 'bench' when an 800Mhz T-bird (clocked at 880Mhz) should
get around 600,000 NPS.

The problem seems to b that you're compiling it with the C++ compiler but
only setting the optimization flags for the C compiler.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Electronic Confusing Bulb (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a light bulb but you can't
Old March 12th 04, 05:31 PM
jake johnson

David Richerby wrote in message

The problem seems to b that you're compiling it with the C++ compiler but
only setting the optimization flags for the C compiler.

Dave.

Thank you... I'll try to fix that.

Let me also add that the performance I get from WinXP (from the
version 19.3 binary on the crafty ftp site) is 560,000 NPS. So, from
the same hardware, I get wildly different crafty performance
benchmarks for the various OS's (& compliations).

Has this been explored before?

- Mark
Old March 12th 04, 11:54 PM
David Richerby

jake johnson wrote:
Let me also add that the performance I get from WinXP (from the
version 19.3 binary on the crafty ftp site) is 560,000 NPS. So, from
the same hardware, I get wildly different crafty performance
benchmarks for the various OS's (& compliations).

Presumably the optimization settings aren't ideal for your CPU or XP's
scheduler isn't being helpful: perhaps crafty is counting as a background
task or something -- do you get better performance running it from a DOS
box rather than from xboard? (Wild speculation ends.)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Sadistic Electronic Widget (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a thingy but it uses electricity