Old July 2nd 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default cloth chess pieces and board

Hello,

I have a relative in prison and they can only use a cloth chessboard and
cloth chess pieces. Nothing hard like plastic is allowed to avoid the
making of weapons in prison.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of this nature ?

Maybe there is a jail-bird chess set available -

Thanks
Old July 2nd 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Maple Tree wrote:

I have a relative in prison and they can only use a cloth chessboard and
cloth chess pieces. Nothing hard like plastic is allowed to avoid the
making of weapons in prison.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of this nature ?

The Chessmate Ultima looks like it would be allowed.

http://www.amazon.com/ChessMate%C2%A.../dp/B000MC6L6I

http://www.chessmate.com/chessmate1.html

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old July 2nd 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:
Maple Tree wrote:
I have a relative in prison and they can only use a cloth
chessboard and cloth chess pieces. Nothing hard like plastic is
allowed to avoid the making of weapons in prison.

The Chessmate Ultima looks like it would be allowed.

http://www.amazon.com/ChessMate%C2%A.../dp/B000MC6L6I

There are plenty of magnetic sets in the world for less than the $60
these guys want. But I don't know if the magnetic insert would be
considered to be a potential weapon. I suppose you could remove it
(maybe replace it with cardboard for stiffness) and just use gravity
to hold the pieces on the board. The pieces themselves are discs
about the size of a coin and don't seem, to me at least, to be
weaponizable.

Perhaps a smallish demonstration board would do the trick? Something
like

http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2...y_Code=cheqdem

Dave.

--
David Richerby Laptop Boss (TM): it's like a middle
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ manager that you can put on your lap!
Old July 2nd 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Maple Tree wrote:
[...]

That last one is out of the question, has to be small and fit on a
table. Magnets are hard and cannot be brought into a prison, nothing
hard, not even hardcovered books are allowed in the prison. I hope
there are some others out there, I tried a search on google for prison
chess sets, but nothing pops up !
Old July 2nd 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Maple Tree wrote:

Magnets are hard

No they aren't. Only *some* magnets are hard. Others,
like the ones commonly used in wallet chess sets, are
made of soft rubber.

Also, size matters. A penny is hard but allowed in most
prisons. Shirt buttons and teeth on zippers are also hard,
but no prison forbids them.

The set I specified is suitable for bringing into a prison.
As others have pointed out, there are cheaper/lower quality
sets that are also acceptable. Please stop rejecting perfectly
acceptable solutions.

Old July 3rd 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Maple Tree wrote:
That last one is out of the question, has to be small and fit on a
table.

The one I linked to isn't all that big -- 740x600mm is 2'5"x1'11".
So, not `small' but would certainly fit on a table.

Magnets are hard and cannot be brought into a prison, nothing
hard, not even hardcovered books are allowed in the prison.

The magnets in pocket chess sets aren't actually hard. I'm not sure
exactly what they're made of but they're slightly flexible discs (sort
of like stiff rubber) and, since they're only the size of a small
coin, it's hard to imagine them being dangerous. But you know the
regs better than I do.

Another option is to make something out of cardboard. You should be
able to find some piece graphics on the web, print them onto thin card
and cut them out.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Moistened Miniature Hi-Fi (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a music system but you can hold
Old July 4th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:

Maple Tree wrote:

Magnets are hard

The magnets in pocket chess sets aren't actually hard. I'm not sure
exactly what they're made of but they're slightly flexible discs (sort
of like stiff rubber) and, since they're only the size of a small
coin, it's hard to imagine them being dangerous.

They cosist of rubber -- typically neoprene -- with iron
dust mixed in, then magnetized. Rubber is really good at
containing particles while remaining rubbery; car tires,
for example, are mostly carbon.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old July 4th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Guy Macon wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
Maple Tree wrote:

Magnets are hard

The magnets in pocket chess sets aren't actually hard. I'm not sure
exactly what they're made of but they're slightly flexible discs (sort
of like stiff rubber) and, since they're only the size of a small
coin, it's hard to imagine them being dangerous.

They cosist of rubber -- typically neoprene -- with iron
dust mixed in, then magnetized. Rubber is really good at
containing particles while remaining rubbery; car tires,
for example, are mostly carbon.

For the magnet to stick to the chessboard, would it not have to have
steel in it ? Magnets do not attach to vinyl -
Old July 4th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Maple Tree wrote:
Guy Macon wrote:
They cosist of rubber -- typically neoprene -- with iron
dust mixed in, then magnetized. Rubber is really good at
containing particles while remaining rubbery; car tires,
for example, are mostly carbon.

For the magnet to stick to the chessboard, would it not have to have
steel in it ? Magnets do not attach to vinyl -

No -- the board has a pad of the same material as the pieces, wrapped
in vinyl. If that pad of material was a problem, you could remove it
and replace it with cardboard. The pieces wouldn't stick to the board
but they're heavy enough that they'd sit happily on it.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Salted Addictive.com (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ an E-commerce portal but you can never
Old July 4th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
Maple Tree wrote:
Guy Macon wrote:
They cosist of rubber -- typically neoprene -- with iron
dust mixed in, then magnetized. Rubber is really good at
containing particles while remaining rubbery; car tires,
for example, are mostly carbon.

For the magnet to stick to the chessboard, would it not have to have
steel in it ? Magnets do not attach to vinyl -

No -- the board has a pad of the same material as the pieces, wrapped
in vinyl. If that pad of material was a problem, you could remove it
and replace it with cardboard. The pieces wouldn't stick to the board
but they're heavy enough that they'd sit happily on it.

Dave.

When you say "PAD" what is the pad made of ? is it steel ? when I think
of pad I think of a pillow type pad ie with feathers or foam. Thanks