Old March 11th 04, 09:53 PM
AdministratorX

Default Crafty Compiling How to for Linux

Is there a How To that gives details on compiling Crafty under linux? If
not can someone give me a step by step guide to compiling Crafty under
linux? I would me more than happy to post this info being that I know I
cannot be the only person having a hard time with this.

Thanks
Old March 12th 04, 04:33 AM
Noah Roberts

AdministratorX wrote:
Is there a How To that gives details on compiling Crafty under linux? If
not can someone give me a step by step guide to compiling Crafty under
linux? I would me more than happy to post this info being that I know I
cannot be the only person having a hard time with this.

step 1 get crafty source. (you can do this with a browser or with a
program called 'ftp'. If you don't know how to use these things read
the man page or get a book)
step 2 extract crafty source. (do this with unzip or tar depending on
file type - if this overwhelms you then you need to give up.)
step 3 cd into crafty source tree by typing 'cd crafty'
step 4 type 'make help'
step 5 type 'make XXXXX' where XXXX is the architecture you chose from
the list provided by 'make help'.
step 6 wait for it to finish. You will know it is finished when the
letters stop flying by and you have a prompt again.
step 7 copy the crafty executable into one of your bin directories. If
you don't know what an executable is get a book and read it.
step 8 type 'crafty'.
step 9 type 'help'.
step 10 - infinity you are on your own.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old March 12th 04, 05:20 AM
?hedo?ist

"AdministratorX" wrote in message
news[email protected] .net...
Is there a How To that gives details on compiling Crafty under linux? If
not can someone give me a step by step guide to compiling Crafty under
linux? I would me more than happy to post this info being that I know I
cannot be the only person having a hard time with this.

Thanks

Hi there,

Can you be more specific about the types of issues you are having?

The process is pretty straightforward:

1. Obtain Source

Navigate your browser to ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/v19

(this is the current version as of now)

obtain the latest distribution, for example: crafty-19.11.tar.gz

2. Unpack the distribution

create a directory, say /root/crafty (mkdir crafty)

move the distribution file to the directory (mv crafty-19.11.tar.gz crafty)

unpack the distro (gunzip crafty-19.11.tar.gz then tar -xvf
crafty-19.11.tar)

3. Compile Crafty

at this stage, I normally create the profdir directory manually within the
crafty subdir, (mkdir profdir)

(I do this because during the compilation, it will complain and fail if this
directory is not there)

have a look at the Makefile. Under Redhat, I usually type gedit Makefile &,
which will run the process from the shell. Have a good read through it.
To compile the program, the normal command is:

make linux

(this will depend heavily on your platform type, so choose the right one!)

the process should start at this point, and continue until finish. If not,
you probably do not have the compiler installed properly, or your path
settings may be incorrect.

If all goes well, you should have a brand new crafty sitting in the
directory, which you can verify by typing: ls

if it is there, type: ./crafty

Crafty should then run in 'command line' mode.

4. Post Installation Stuff

You may now wish to get the extras like the opening books etc from Doc
Hyatts site, and create your crafty resource file, which under Linux should
be named .craftyrc

This file can be edited using vi, gedit, or whatever your favourite editor
is.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Old March 12th 04, 11:16 AM
David Richerby

?hedo?ist wrote:
"AdministratorX" wrote in message
Is there a How To that gives details on compiling Crafty under linux?

[...] have a look at the Makefile. [...]

I think we can assume that, if the OP were capable of reading and
understanding the makefile, they wouldn't have needed to ask the
question in the first place!

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mouldy Old-Fashioned Painting (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a Renaissance masterpiece
Old March 12th 04, 05:33 PM
Simon

[...] have a look at the Makefile. [...]

I think we can assume that, if the OP were capable of reading and
understanding the makefile, they wouldn't have needed to ask the
question in the first place!

True enough, however it does help to read it, and maybe understanding will
come afterwards ?!
I don't believe in doing things blindly, and helping to steer people the
right way might help.

Simon

Old March 16th 04, 12:26 AM
Dr. David Kirkby

"Simon" wrote in message .au...

[...] have a look at the Makefile. [...]

I think we can assume that, if the OP were capable of reading and
understanding the makefile, they wouldn't have needed to ask the
question in the first place!

True enough, however it does help to read it, and maybe understanding will
come afterwards ?!
I don't believe in doing things blindly, and helping to steer people the
right way might help.

Simon

It must be said that crafty is not the easiest application to compile.

I have built it on my Sun (after a bit of a struggle trying with both
gcc and Sun's compiler), but as a test for Robert Hyatt (its author),
I did a *quick* attempt at building it on an SGI Octane running IRIX,
a Dec Alpha running Tru64, an HP running HP-UX, an IBM RS/6000 running
AIX. Not a single one would build properly, although I did not try to
debug it.

The makefile is very much a collection of bits submitted to Robert
over the years by many people running on different computers.

One issue I had on the Sun, which may be the problem under Linux, was
gcc was being called installed of g++ to do some linking, or the other
way around. Bascially I needed to change from gcc to g++ or perhaps
the other way around, in a bit of the makefile. Can't recall details,
but it might give you a clue.