Old March 12th 04, 01:52 PM
jp

Default shredder 8 questions

First of all, how do I save a game?
Second, how do I import pgn's from games I have on the internet and
how do I use shredder 8 to analyze thesee games and help me pick the
best move?

I understnad not everyone will like that I am analyzing my game
positions, but I am a beginner and plan to stop after I get the hang
of chess. Just need shredder 8 to tell me the best moves for a little
while.

How can I optimize it to make it powerful?
Old March 12th 04, 03:09 PM
David Richerby

jp wrote:
I understnad not everyone will like that I am analyzing my game
positions, but I am a beginner and plan to stop after I get the hang
of chess. Just need shredder 8 to tell me the best moves for a little
while.

You shouldn't use software to analyse your games while they're in progress
-- your opponents want to play you, not Shredder. If you want to play
practice games without the `embarrassment' of making bad moves, play your
practice games against Shredder and only start to play online once you've
got the hang of it.

It will be very hard for you to stop using Shredder to help you with
your games because, in all probability, Shredder will always be better
than you (that's not an insult, it's just that Shredder is better than
all but the top Grandmasters). Every time you stop using Shredder, the
quality of the chess played in your name will decrease dramatically so
you'll start using it again.

On the other hand, analysing your games *after* they've finished is an
excellent way to learn what mistakes you're making and how to correct
them.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Incredible Hilarious Dictator (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a totalitarian leader but
Old March 12th 04, 06:18 PM
Douglas Crowe

On 12 Mar 2004 15:09:40 +0000 (GMT), David Richerby
wrote:

jp wrote:
[...]

Plus Dave..not to mention the more you get beat..the better you
become..the only way I'd beat Fritz 8 is by hurling the CD into the
wallBut heck..given the price it cost to hire a GM to tutor a player
Fritz is so much..well worth even 200.00.

Doug

Old March 12th 04, 07:05 PM
jp

Thanks for you views.

Do you think you could clue me in on how to save my games on shredder
8? Any games I play against the cpu.
Old March 12th 04, 08:05 PM
HD

jp skrev:
Thanks for you views.

Do you think you could clue me in on how to save my games on shredder
8? Any games I play against the cpu.

You don't need to save, at least not if they're finished (a 1-0, 0-1 or
a - is reached), the game have been concluded in the GUI, since it
automatically saves it into the autosave-base in your
documents/chessbase folder, from where you can get it again.

HD

Old March 12th 04, 11:52 PM
David Richerby

jp wrote:
Thanks for you views.

Do you think you could clue me in on how to save my games on shredder
8? Any games I play against the cpu.

File | Save As and choose a filename. But, as somebody else has pointed
out, games against the engine are autosaved. (I'd have pointed this out
earlier but I was in the office and my copy of Fritz was not and I wasn't
exactly sure what the menu options were called.)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Expensive Painting (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a Renaissance masterpiece but it'll