Old March 12th 04, 06:52 PM
jake johnson

Default emd files

By my count of the emd files and their sizes from Dr. Hyatt's website,
the emd files total a little over 600GB. I do have ample bandwith and
have about 50GB downloaded already, but considering that diskspace is
a limited resource, are there some directories or files that are more
likely to contribute to crafty's playing strength than others?

Also, does each installation of crafty that plays in tournaments have
the full 600GB or what subset of it is installed instead? I'd be
really interested in what benefits there are in investing in
maintaining these emd files.

thanks -
- Jake

As of 03/12/04, my counts show the following size stats per directory:
pub/hyatt/TB/32p 4,453,160 KB
pub/hyatt/TB/21 28
pub/hyatt/TB/21p 33
pub/hyatt/TB/22 4,735
pub/hyatt/TB/22p 9,982
pub/hyatt/TB/31 5,034
pub/hyatt/TB/31p 10,481
pub/hyatt/TB/32 1,428,997
pub/hyatt/TB/33 99,849,222
pub/hyatt/TB/41 383,311
pub/hyatt/TB/41p 1,106,782
pub/hyatt/TB/42 115,572,694
pub/hyatt/TB/42p 381,894,864
Grand Total 604,719,323 KB
Old March 14th 04, 04:48 AM
Euclid

I haven't actually done it and don't have the bandwidth nor storage space
available, but the following seems like a logical approach:
1) get all 3-4-5 piece tablebases [7GB], because the 6 piece tablebases
depend on them
2) then get the pawnless 3-3 and 4-2 tablebases [227GB], because they are
required before the ones with pawns can work
3) add the 3-3 and 4-2 tablebases with pawns as possible (as your storage
space permits)
-E

om...

Old March 20th 04, 03:47 PM
ChessliB

"Euclid" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

You can download the 3- 4 and 5-mans from one of the fastest servers in
Europe (we are on a 2.5GB connection) at:
http://www.chesslib.no/Nalimov.htm

If you don't have the bandwidth/time to download the files,
they are available from ChessliB on 2 DVD's for the cost of
the media and postage + US$ 5.00. E-mail me for details.

-af-

Old Bookup Files?? Gollum rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 2 June 7th 04 01:57 PM
OT - deleting Registry files Hal Tynan rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 7 February 15th 04 02:33 PM
Import multiple txt files for Chess Tiger? Elijah rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 1 January 19th 04 06:37 AM
web site with openings zip files pete johnson rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 2 November 3rd 03 04:05 AM
what does sanity check error on tablebase files mean? Jan rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 0 October 8th 03 10:50 PM