Old March 13th 04, 08:03 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

Default Pocket Fritz 2 and the Chessbase Server

I've installed Pocket Fritz 2 on an HP iPAQ 4150 PDA, (Windows CE
2003) which has WiFi.

I have a wireless access point on a network, which allows programs
such as Pocket Internet Explorer to be run from the PDA. So I am in no
doubt there is an internet connection to the PDA that is working fine.

But when I try to access the Chessbase database to look up games
(under the Edit menu of PocketFritz 2) it always comes back with "A
connection with the server could not be established"

I assumed this is a firewall problem, but my firewall logs don't seem
to be showing anything being blocked, although there are some odd
messages in the firewall logs that I'm not sure what they mean (I use
a hardware firewall on an ADSL modem).

When first trying to connect, the PDA waits some 20 seconds or so
before giving this message. Once I've tried once, it will give the
error instantly in future, which gets me thinking it does not try to
connect again.

Any thoughts - has anyone else seen this ??

Any suggestions ???

Old March 15th 04, 11:52 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

Ralph Jones wrote in message ...

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

I've installed Pocket Fritz 2 on an HP iPAQ 4150 PDA, (Windows CE
2003) which has WiFi.

I have a wireless access point on a network, which allows programs
such as Pocket Internet Explorer to be run from the PDA. So I am in no
doubt there is an internet connection to the PDA that is working fine.

But when I try to access the Chessbase database to look up games
(under the Edit menu of PocketFritz 2) it always comes back with "A
connection with the server could not be established"

There's a Pocket Fritz patch downloadable from their website which fixes
this problem.

Thanks a lot - that fixed the problem.

That feature in Pocket Fritz to connect to the chessbase server does
seem quite nice to have. Although one soon realises there are a lot of
games in books etc that are not available on their server, but are
elsewhere. I don't use chessbase, but scid myself, so have not used
their server much before getting pocket Fritz.