Old March 14th 04, 08:48 PM
Mike N.

Default Fritz 8 Serial Numbers

Just bought the Viva-Media "Play Chess: Fritz 8" version of Fritz.

Playchess.com doesn't like the serial number from the software.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What was your solution?

(I sent viva-media an email, but was curious whether it was a widespread
issue)

Thanks.

Mike N.

Old March 15th 04, 01:01 AM
Bobby C.

Mike N. wrote:
Just bought the Viva-Media "Play Chess: Fritz 8" version of Fritz.

Playchess.com doesn't like the serial number from the software.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What was your solution?

(I sent viva-media an email, but was curious whether it was a
widespread issue)

Thanks.

Mike N.

Mike,

I had this happen back in November and I ended up calling Viva-Media (I
think it's 877-848-6520, this number is from the back of teh little manual
that comes with the product). They told me that they had a batch of
packages go out with serial numbers that were one or two characters too
short. They supplied me with a proper serial number and I was able to log
on. And have been getting clobbered every since g... Hope that
helps....Enjoy!

--

Bobby C.
Proper reply address is without the text -REMOVE-

Old March 15th 04, 04:22 AM
Rick Friedman

Mike N. wrote:
Just bought the Viva-Media "Play Chess: Fritz 8" version of Fritz.

Playchess.com doesn't like the serial number from the software.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What was your solution?

(I sent viva-media an email, but was curious whether it was a widespread
issue)

Thanks.

Mike N.

I bought this package and also had the same problem. I called Viva-Media
at the number on the back of the manual. I explained the problem and was
instructed to email to them the serial number that came with the
package. A couple of days later, I received email with a brand new
serial number.

I am now happily playing on Playchess.com.

Rick
Old March 15th 04, 08:02 AM
Anders Thulin

Mike N. wrote:

Just bought the Viva-Media "Play Chess: Fritz 8" version of Fritz.

Playchess.com doesn't like the serial number from the software.

Don't know bout Viva-media -- I have just run into complaints about
bad serial numbers on a ChessBase version. In my case, I tried to connect
as a guest, and got 'Serial number required', and entered mine. I
always get the same response 'Serialnumber not valid'. It was not until
I created an account that things worked.

The help file seems to suggest that that is the way it's supposed to be:
you create an account, you get the privileges a user has, you get 30 days
to enter serial number, or those privileges will be revoked. Entering
serial number as a guest user doesn't seem to be useful: you don't have any
user privileges anyway that need to be confirmed by that number.
(But that's a guess -- the text could be clearer on this, I think.)

Anyway, Chessbase are not known for creating good user interfaces:
there seems to be many choices/menu items/buttons that should have been
disabled for guest users, but aren't. That will confuse a lot of people.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
Old March 16th 04, 01:56 AM
Mike N.

Thanks for the replies.

Viva-Media gave me a new serial number and I'm now up and running.

What a steal - $20 for the software, including the 1-year playchess.com
service!

Now if I could only figure out how to stop the Viva-Media splash screen on
startup...

news:[email protected]_s03...

Old March 16th 04, 02:45 AM
Bobby C.

Mike N. wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Viva-Media gave me a new serial number and I'm now up and running.

What a steal - $20 for the software, including the 1-year
playchess.com service!

Now if I could only figure out how to stop the Viva-Media splash
screen on startup...

"Mike N." wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
Just bought the Viva-Media "Play Chess: Fritz 8" version of Fritz.

Playchess.com doesn't like the serial number from the software.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What was your solution?

(I sent viva-media an email, but was curious whether it was a
widespread issue)

Thanks.

Mike N.

Mike,

Got that one covered too. I hated that opening sequence. Add the following
to the command line for the shortcut and the Fritz menu will appear sans the
Viva "stuff"...

-nopopup -nosplash

For example:

C:\Program
Files\ChessBase\ChessProgram8\ChessProgram8.exe -nopopup -nosplash

HTH

Old March 17th 04, 02:20 AM
Mike N.

Thanks for the info.

Ends up I didn't try too hard before my post.

The shortcut defaults to "C:\Program
Files\ChessBase\ChessProgram8\Trailer.exe"

Simply change it to "C:\Program
Files\ChessBase\ChessProgram8\ChessProgram8.exe" and that does the trick!

Mike N.

"Bobby C." wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...
Mike N. wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Viva-Media gave me a new serial number and I'm now up and running.

What a steal - $20 for the software, including the 1-year
playchess.com service!

Now if I could only figure out how to stop the Viva-Media splash
screen on startup...

news:[email protected]_s03...