Old March 16th 04, 12:11 AM
Dr. David Kirkby

Default Chessmaster 9000 - Copy protection hassles.

Hi,
I've tried to install Chessmaster 9000. I have the original CDs, but
had problems installing it on my "PC". I put PC in quotes, as the "PC"
is actually a complete 733 MHz Celeron based computer on a PCI card.
This card plugs into the PCI slot on a Sun UNIX workstation. The card
has its own BIOS, RAM (1 GB) and CPU, but uses the Sun's CD drive,
keyboard, mouse, monitor etc.

When I insert the Chessmasater 9000 CD-ROM in the Sun's CD drive, the
drive becomes visable on the PC. I can either let it autoload, or run
setup.exe from the CD. But either way it tells me to insert the CD.
Clearly this error message is stupid - I am running from the CD, so of
course the CD is inserted !!!

I suspect this is a problem with the copy protection system used on
Chessmaster 9000, which relies on you having the oringal CD. Whilst I
do have that CD, the CD-ROM drive that my PC uses is a bit
unconventional, as its a UNIX file system with device drivers that
make it look like a normal CD-ROM to every application I have met,
except for Chessmaster 9000.

Does anyone know if this can be circumvented in any way? I'm not
trying to steal the software (I have the orignal CDs). I'm well aware
there are hacks on the net to stop you having to keep inserting the CD
to keep the program running, but I can't get as far as to install it.

I tried installing it on a real PC, with a normal IDE CD-ROM drive.
That works fine, but I don't want it on that machine.
Old March 16th 04, 12:43 AM
Anders Lang

Try a program called "Alcohol 52%" (http://www.alcohol-software.com/). This
will make an image of the cd on your hardisk as well as a virtual cd-drive.
It will cope with the copy protection without any problems.

Yours

Anders Lang

"Dr. David Kirkby" m skrev
i meddelandet om...